Hand Drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
As i seem to be on a bit of a friction fire binge at the moment, i thought it was about time i practiced the hand drill again, erm, no hearth material, i used the boards i made a couple of weeks back on Sunday for the bow drill, no problem, a quick trip up the lane and i scored the two pieces of Clematis in the picture, the knife is my Stewart Marsh Bushcraft Knife, by the way, the vine i harvested was dead standing.

DSCF4620a.jpg

Once i got home I removed all of the bark material and placed it in a nice dry place for later use, i then pared some of the Clematis down into boards, grabbed a spindle and whirled away for a little while, gently at first to warm up the old muscles, then i went for it, many people say it's like riding a bike, once you know how, you never forget, well they are not wrong.

I had a couple of failed attempts to begin with, then it all came together and i managed two embers from three attempts, not bad i thought, damn near choked myself doing it though as i had to sit in the shed and practice the skill, far too damp outside at the moment, i was pretty pleased to get a couple of embers, especially from board material that has been outside in some pretty atrocious weather of late, if i can do it using a slightly damp hearth board, then using a dead dry one should pose no problem at all, compared to the bow drill though, this hand drill malarkey is damned hard work, satisfying though when you get that ember.

DSCF4623a.jpg

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Well done...
Its my 'next level' to practice over the winter :)

I have a large block of red cedar, although I might give clematis a go now after reading your post... What did you use for the hand-drill if I may? I have some elder, but might try making some small dowels and see how it go's.

Regards, al.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
W What did you use for the hand-drill if I may? I have some elder, but might try making some small dowels and see how it go's.

Regards, al.

All i use is 2nd year Elder stems, cut em green, remove the bark and dry them out indoors, they seem to be the best ones for me, i know others use Willow for the drill, but ive not got on with that at all.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers buddy...

I may go and collect some more Elder over the next week or so. It grows in a spot where theres some really good, thick standing clematis vine.

Atb, al.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good work fella. Serious lack of Clematis in the woods around here.
I'll have to do a spot of garden maintenance work I reckon.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Nice one Mark.

I have a load of Clematis and Elder stored away but never do much hand drilling these days.

Probably got too comfy with the bowdrill and really need to start re-visiting the hand drill.

Cheers for a reminder.

George

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Good work fella. Serious lack of Clematis in the woods around here.
I'll have to do a spot of garden maintenance work I reckon.

We are pretty lucky around here, lots of it to be found up on the Downs.:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one Mark.

I have a load of Clematis and Elder stored away but never do much hand drilling these days.

Probably got too comfy with the bowdrill and really need to start re-visiting the hand drill.

Cheers for a reminder.

George

Cheers George, know what you mean, it's easy to get used to the bow drill, after today i quickly realised why again:).

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
tread back from the bowdrill notch that goes to the centre of the burn buddy makes the point of ignition greater do it to the edge.. ;)

how do you mean Paganwolf, do you just not cut the notch so deep or just dont bother with it at all and put the spindle right on the edge of the board????

regards.

chris.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
What JP means is dont take the V notch as deep as i did, must admit in retrospect they are pretty deep, ie to the centre of the burn area, take it to the edge of the the burn radius as this maximises the surface area available to create friction and therefore heat, meaning a lower ignition point as you dont loose all the heat you have created filling a "large" void with dust.

Ive just looked at some of my older hand drill sets and the notch on those is as JP suggests, to the edge of the burn radius or at worst just transecting the burn line, although it was only the middle one of the three in the above photo that didnt produce an ember today, i just made it harder for myself than i really needed to.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ahhhhhh, ok got ya, that makes total sence now, i will try that as last time i almost had it, very very almost, i used elder drill on sycamore board as thats all i have...

i might try with a hazle drill and see how that goes...

thanks

chris...

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
The top notch was made before burning in the pieces. The stick wandered into the notch and did not produce a coal. The bottom notch was made after burning in the pieces. I ended up with a nice coal.

Picture154-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE