Hand Drill for Beginners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
top tip ! I will give this a try ! I have experimented with the hand drill a couple of times and failed doing it solo , but have got a coal doing it tandam with coln18 .thanks to stuart f for showing us the technique ! cheers from Jason aka Jag009

matthewpearce

Jan 31, 2011
Andover
Been at this for a week getting close, then read this article and used a piece od chord to help apply the pressure, next thing you know ember cheers mate.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I got some embers by using a thin, well seasoned hazelwand on a hazel hearthboard. I used a very long drill (when kneeling, the top of the drill was at the same height of my head). This enabled me to get a lot of spins before I had to start of from the top again.

What you say about stamina is very true. When I was learning the bowdrill, I laid the set out in the garage. Every single time I needed something in the garage, I gave it a try. All these little moments of practice (only takes 2 minutes at a time) build up muscle memory and stamina very fast. I did exactly the same with the hand-drill, with good results.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE