Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I love my DD hammock, but would like to get something of a better quality. What do people consider to be the bees knees when it comes to hammocks ?

Ive looked at Hennesy, and they seem to be about the best, but ive just found out about Clark Hammocks. Does anybody know of where i can get Clark hammocks in the UK ?

Cheers,

Paul

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
What's wrong with the DD? I find mine lovely and comfy, mid you if you are 6'6" it's a little short.
PS.. Hennesy's are a pain, most people who get one, send it back.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
What's wrong with the DD? I find mine lovely and comfy, mid you if you are 6'6" it's a little short.
PS.. Hennesy's are a pain, most people who get one, send it back.

Nowt wrong with my DD, but the quality of the stitching is dire, and i dont want this to trun into a DD hammock thread please !

Paul

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have a hennessey, a DD and a Paradise. The only feedback I wish to give is with the hennessey, once you're in, you're totally enclosed. With a DD or similar you can chat from yer maggot and zip up when you finally want some zeds

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I have the dd, the henesey and a group buy one, all are comfy, but for sheer quality I use the henesey more than the others, once you master how best to get in and out

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Nomad Travel hammocks are worth a look. I know a few instructors who swear by them.

Also the Nomads Land (different manufacturer) are superb, made from parachute silk and the comfiest I've ever slept in. It's the one Magikelly sourced for the group buys so there's plenty of reviews about them on here. I think Lurch sells them these days.
Only single layer though mind.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
I can't say anything on the Clarks hammocks, but this is my experience:

I have a HH and a TTTM (Ticket to the Moon) hammock in camo print :D
TTTM is 99% the same as Nomad's Land.

I have tried a DD once for 5 minutes - I found it unstable (tip over-ish) and uncomfy. Too narrow.

The TTTM is small, light weight and easy to set up. if you hanf it with generous slack, you can almost lie flat in it (diagonally).

But for sheer sleeping comfort, the HH gets all thumbs up from me. It is made to lie in it diagonally, so you have a fairly straight back and a good amount of room to roll around.
The pain is indeed the bottom entry. Especially with an underblanket it's a real :soapbox:

However: there's a forum member form hammockforums.net called 2Questions. His missus offers a very nice modification for the HH: zippers on the netting!

Check it out here: http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/

I have read many reviews on her work and everyone is saying she does an excellent job.

This gives you the comfort and other pro's of a HH, with the added bonus of top entry, choosing when you want the net off, half closed, etc. and a lot less hassle getting in.

(Suggestion: order your HH in the states from Ebay, and have them send it too 2Questions. Let them to the modification and send it on to you. This might also give you less chance of having to pay extra for customs. Just ask if they send it to you as a gift or at least a non-commercial shipping.)

Hope this helps deciding!

Just a remark but if you think the bottom entry is a pain.... it probably is a lack of practice/using the wrong technique.

Now I am NOT saying a bottom entry isn't easier...

For the record... I guess I have about 500 nights in both my Hennessy and my Speer...in al sorts of weather....

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE