Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You should check out UKHammocks, Mat is developing some kit for his interests in jungle trips

There's quite a difference between a Hennessy and the Snugpak, how did you come to those two? If I was spending Hennessy money I'd get a Warbonnet.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Im no expert, but what I would say is condensation can be a massive issue in hammocks at the best of times let alone being in a very humid jungle!!

So my advice would be to look at the materials and get the most breathable fabric that you can afford, and also the most lightweight!!

I have had my ups and downs and some rel bad luck with Mat at uk hammocks, but he always always came through in the end and also there is no questioning his knowledge on hammocks!!

The new expedition hammock he designed looks the nuts, and there is a sale on at the minute!!

Cheers
Steve

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Thanks for the info so far, it would seem that the Hennessy and UKHammock are rather saggy, inherent it there design. I would prefer a taught hammock and it seem you can tension the Snugpak as the net is then lift off you by a separate cord.

what are peoples views, I don't fancy the idea of sleeping folded in two. lol

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for the info so far, it would seem that the Hennessy and UKHammock are rather saggy, inherent it there design. I would prefer a taught hammock and it seem you can tension the Snugpak as the net is then lift off you by a separate cord.

No hammock will leave you folded in two mate if its pitched correctly. The idea is to lie as flat as possible. If your hammock is behaving like a big banana its not pitched correctly.

The uk hammocks one is an asym hammock meaning you sleep diagonally across it in a pretty much flat lie. Very comfortable and not at all baggy when done right

garethw

Settler

You really don't want your hammock tight. There is an optimal tension for each hammock, where you can lay diagonally and comfortably. I've a Warbonnet Blackbird and it has a footbox on one side and lets you lay pretty flat. It may look saggy as you put it, but I guarantee these hammocks are more comfortable than a chord tight one.
If you tension a hammock too much you get a ridge of fabric under your back and legs that is rather uncomfortable. The point is not to try and make your hammock like a bed. In bed you are laying on a virtually flat surface and on body pressure points, hips, shoulders etc. I'm convinced this is one of the reasons we toss and turn at night, subconsciously moving when our body gets uncomfortable on a certain point. In a correctly hung hammock you are supported over the whole area of your body. So you shouldn't have these pressure points.
I find I sleep like a baby in a hammock once I've found the sweet spot. I often wake having not moved at all. And a curious thing is I'm very comfy on my back, but can't sleep that way in a bed.

cheers
Gareth

Dec 16, 2007
I used a HH Explorer deluxe in tamen negara. Most of the guys who are hard core jungle trekers in Malaysia use HH you cant go wrong.

Also just wondering that if you are leading a jungle expedition would you have already been to the jungle and have your kit squared away? Im not questioning your skill in bushcraft but jungle is very different to a temperate climate and you have to have a different mindset when working in that area.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
If you are really deep into the jungle you need totally reliable gear. The Snugpack has a zip entrance and therefore a potential failure point. Hennesey gives the option of a zip free bottom entry system which will have a much greater reliability factor in tropical jungle conditions. For that alone I would give Hennessey the decision. In addition, all hennesseys have a structural ridgeline which is much easier to set up compared to the free-style Snugpack. Hennessey has just two suspension lines as the structural ridge line also holds up the bug netting, also making it easier to set up. Although bugs cannot get into a net enclosed hammock, they can bite through the bottom, so always have a layer underneath you. I would presoak the whole hammock in permethrin before use, as this will probably kill the insect before it can bite through the hammock fabric.

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
From someone who has been working in the jungles of Western Malaysia, I hope you bought the Deep Jungle!

Matt is a top bloke, he will set yo up with ace kit at very fair prices.

For anyone who says the zips on a HH are a potential failure point, please buy one and try and break it, then post pics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE