Hammocks.I fancy getting one,what type?.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I fancy getting myself a good hammock to get up off the floor and see what all the fuss is about :) ,any advise on type,manufacturer and models to consider would be most appreciated.Ive never used or even tried one so i do not know what types are available and which to look at ect.Thank you.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I have two Jungle Hammocks on the way from http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ so I'll let you know what they are like to use for two weeks, as I'm using them in the first fortnight of September. As soon as they arrive I'll take a trip to the woods for a trial run and post a mini review. These have inbuilt mossy nets, and the jungle ones have black net to allow better vision. The straps are webbing and the hammock material is water proof. I will however be using my existing basha sheet and not those little diamond ones. In my opinion, these are the cheapest of their type and the quality sounds ok, but I'll let you know on that one soon.

Shepherd

Tenderfoot
I have always enjoyed hammocks. I even used to have on stung up in my VW camper from seatbelt bracket to boot hinge. Not so good on the move but great as an extra bed :)

When in the Jungle i prefer them as with a good mozi net i find i am less of a meal for all that crawl and fly in the night.

My latest acquisition (bought today) looks like it could be the Rolls Royce of Hammocks made by Hennessy Hammocks and although i couldn't resist having a little play today i hope to be giving it a proper test later in the week...

It's not a great pic but you get the idea..
hammock.jpg

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Well just spent my first ever couple of nights in a hammock at the meet in South Wales and I can say that it is the best couple of nights sleep I have had for a long time ,I have a bad back and always wake up in some sort of pain,but I had none over the weekend.The hammock I have is the Mosquito Hammocks ,Jungle Version from Trek Direct.I think it was about £77.00 with free postage.Even a few of the more experienced bushcrafters attending the meet in Wales were impressed,One small point I would have liked the webbing on the hammock maybe to have been longer.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I think that there are really two choices for hammocks - the hennessy style, or the 'normal' style.

If you're looking at 'normal' hammocks, then try to choose a wide one, as this will allow you room to turn/sleep on your side.

Try to always hang your hammock as stretched out as possible - the more of a dip in the middle of the hammock, the more you'll sink into it and move about. Also experiment with different levels - it is usually true that hammocks are most comfortable if you hang them perfectly level, but you might find this isn't true for you.

Most importantly, remember that if its cold you'll want some kind of blanket/mat unerneath you (thin hammocks provide little insulation and hanging up means you lose a lot more heat through air movement). If its in Scotland you'll want some kind of midge/mosquito netting :) and some kind of basha/tarp to keep the rain off...

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
The point about hanging the hammock level not being for everyone is right- I like mine hung a little higher at the foot end. And since my upper body is heavier than my lower, this adds to the effect. I find I am more confortable this way.
As to the other point about having your hammock stretched out; if you pull a 'normal' hammock too tight, it squeezes your shoulders and makes it incapable of sleeping on a diagonal. It took me quite a few go's with my homemade one to work this out! All trial and error.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
The ones from Trek Direct are actually from the site I mention in the US as he actually makes them. If you buy from the US they work out half price. I have been given a great deal on a pair of Jungle Hammocks that was irresistable, as the pair with postage from the US work out less than Trek Direct want for 1!!!

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What are the advantages and disadvantages between the Hennessy types and the normal style hammocks,ive never used/tried either so any advise and opinions are appreciated,i am here to learn. :)

Oh and what do you good folks reckon to the Eco type shelter hammock for sale on the Woodlore site.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
CLEM said:
What are the advantages and disadvantages between the Hennessy types and the normal style hammocks,ive never used/tried either so any advise and opinions are appreciated,i am here to learn. :)

Oh and what do you good folks reckon to the Eco type shelter hammock for sale on the Woodlore site.

I really rate the Eco hammock Clem. But i have to after spending that much ! :rolleyes:

No, seriously, i like it a lot - it's huge, so you can get really comfy. And if you haven't got the mosi net fixed to it, it fold's really small. I use mine with a sass hoochie.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
CLEM said:
I guess the Eco is worth a look see then! :)

Yep I got one as well great piece of kit. Would post some pic's but there safely locked up on my admin account and I **** up the password and can’t get access. :(

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have a Hennessy and am very happy with it but at the recent Scottish Meet up I had a look at Sandbender's ecosystem and liked the open feel of it. The Hennessy has the comfort of a hammock but has the feal of being sort of in a tent. However, I felt the Ecosystem was overpriced. I had a look around and bought a Double Hammock from Paradise Hammocks. This is the same size and construction as the Ecosystem. I then went out and bought 2 big carabiners and 10m of climbing tape. I took the original hanging fittings out and put the caribiners through the ends of the hammock. I cut the climbing tape into two 5m lenths and sewed loops in the ends. Total cost about £68 compared to £145 for the ecosystem. Here is a couple of pictures of a friend trying it out.

hammock1.jpg

hammock2.jpg

Now here is a close up of the carabiners. Notice the loops I sewed in the tapes are not what takes the weight. You tie the ends to the trees then take up the slack at the caribiners and tie them off there. This was an aspect of the Ecosystem I really liked.

hammock3.jpg

The Paradise Hammock fits into it's own bag that is attached (you can just see this in the second picture hanging behind Stuart's right elbow). It still fits in with the tapes and carabiners attached. As to being strong, my two girls have used it as a swing and play thing for hours on end with no damage to the hammock. The girls on the other hand have sustained all sorts of brusing etc.

I have ordered the midgie net for the ecosystem and a XXL Basha from Kathmandu Trekking to complete the set up and think I will have saved about £70 - £80, which is enough to buy two spare double hammock. Also I have a bigger tarp, so more living space.

I have slept out in the hammock and definately find getting in and out much easier than the Hennessy. I also really like the fact that you can see what is going on around you much easier. This may not be as much of a difference when using the midgie netting but at least with this set up you have the choice of whether to use it or not. My only concern is that as the hammock is so long the ends are fairly near the edge of the tarp so in driving rain the ends may get wet. This is not going to happen in the middle of woodland but I am generally near the shore at the edge of woodland where this could be a possability. Only time and some experimentation will show if this is likely to be a problem or not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE