Hammocks and fatties

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
lets get one thing out of the way. I'm a fat basterd!

What kind of weight will a good hamock take?
My magickelly hammock will/has held 130kg. no sign of strain, or damage (four nights in a row)
thereagain so has my DD (old style with new better tapes)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Hey Judd,How does 19 stone and 6 foot four and always sleep comfortably in a dd hammock sound.And I toss and turn in the night.They're safe mate.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Well if I was 6' 4" I wouldn't mind weighing what I do. But 19 stone is 19 stone, and that covers me, so thanks for the reasurrance, sapper :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
8 scouts is what an average hammock will take before it fails.

my toggle ropes are rated at 120kg each side. the big issue is whether you will fit so you could make your own super wide version :)

most of the 20 quid peapod jungle hammocks should cope though and you can allways reinforce the stitching. the fabric will be ok as log as it doesn't pick up any holes, snags or ladders as that would compromise the strength.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Well the DD will take 23 stone, apparantly - sounds good to me! And they're only £42

I can get one of these and a tarp big enough to shelter the hammocks and give enough outer cover for sitting and cooking, for under £75 :)

In fact, for just less than £100, I could get:

DD Travel Hammock
DD Tarp
DD Sleeping Bag Liner
DD T-shirt
10m of Light Webbing
Whistle

And all packed up in a 30ltr pack (included)

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi OurJud,

The hammock will be fine, what you may need to do is replace the webbing straps which many of us have found to stretch when wet.:umbrella: Otherwise you may get a shock in the middle of the night.:eek:

Many use mountaineering tape instead.. tested and reliable.
George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE