Hammock with wool blanket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Have had a hammock for ages and not really got into it (sleep on my front), but am determined to have another go at it.

I have previously just used a thermarest in between the layers on one of my hammocks, but it kept moving around and didn't work.

I have another hammock that is bigger and more comfy, so been looking at some sort of under blanket to use. Now, I like the idea of using a traditional woollen blanket, mainly because I have quite a few blankets lying around.

Has anyone used a woollen blanket and how did you adjust/make it to fit?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The thing I've found with wool blankets is that they're just too bulky compared to other options. But on the other hand, if you've got some then why not give it a bash. One thing about having a man made insulated shell around you is that it blocks out the chill, not sure how well a blanket would do in a breeze ?

If you've got a gathered end hammock then you could release the ends loops and flatten it out. Cut a blanket to a decent size and then somehow marry it up to the hammock fabric. Maybe some velcro strips would work ?
Alternatively, cut a section of blanket just long enough to cover your back and your legs, work out how much width you'd need to pull up to your sides when in the hammock. Then either sew some channels in or just add some webbing loops, then add some shock cord for suspension and figure out how to hang it from something. Maybe where the hammock is attached to your straps would work, or possibly hang a second ridgeline under your tarp and attach to that at the head and foot end with carabiners and prusik knots.

Should be good fun, I'll be interested to hear how you get on, Take some pics too :)

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Was thinking of making one similar to the synthetic ones I've seen, with a draw cord at either end and then just attach it to the carabeners I have at each end.

Means some sewing, but not too difficult. Thinking about doubling the blankets up so its a bit warmer. It will be a bit bulkier and heavier, but for a first attempt its worth a go, oh and its free!:)

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have used a wool blanket in winter once it was ok I did have a fleece blanket over my sleeping bag aswell, I was nice and warm though.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Was thinking of making one similar to the synthetic ones I've seen, with a draw cord at either end and then just attach it to the carabeners I have at each end.

Means some sewing, but not too difficult. Thinking about doubling the blankets up so its a bit warmer. It will be a bit bulkier and heavier, but for a first attempt its worth a go, oh and its free!:)

thats what i did with a quilted poncho liner

Mooch6.jpg

in the warmer months i put that on the outside, then use a thick dutch 100% wool blanket inside and sleep in my clothes. i kinda wrap myself up in the blanket. If it got colder i would use a sleeping bag aswell or my coma coat lol

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Plan is to make a taper at both ends so there's less material. Trying to pull a straight blanket tight at each end would be a bit tough.

Managed to find two blankets this evening that fit the bill, going to cut them into shape then blanket stitch them together along the length of them. Then will add a hem at each end for the draw strings, will need to add a loop of some sort too so I can attach the ends to the carabener.

How do most people zip/button/velcro the front of their blankets up? Can't decide whether to use buttons/toggles or something else. Not sure I could sew a zip into the blanket very well, too much flex with the blanket...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How do most people zip/button/velcro the front of their blankets up? Can't decide whether to use buttons/toggles or something else. Not sure I could sew a zip into the blanket very well, too much flex with the blanket...

I got sent a very expensive down cocoon thing from the states by mistake, I had to give it a go before I sent it back though :rolleyes:

That had a full length velcro strip all the way down the top/front. I think laces or cords would get in the way tbh, maybe buttons/press studs or toggles would work though.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Forget the double underblanket in winter, this is what you need to read: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50536

Like it, but think that'll be a last resort!:lmao:

That had a full length velcro strip all the way down the top/front. I think laces or cords would get in the way tbh, maybe buttons/press studs or toggles would work though.

Funnily enough I found some toggles in my mothers sewing box (37 and living at my parents place! Sad, but its only temporary, honest!), which I thought would be good as they are easy to handle.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I suspect that it might be a little chilly, but the experiment won't cost you anything. Go for it and let us know what you find.

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
I just use my dad's down sleeping bag.
It has another zipper on the same zip, so I can pass the hammock through it.
I just zip it up, slide it down the hammock, get in and pull the bag up.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I just use my dad's down sleeping bag.
It has another zipper on the same zip, so I can pass the hammock through it.
I just zip it up, slide it down the hammock, get in and pull the bag up.

Now that's a clever idea. You've got yourself a ready made underquilt all in one handy to carry package.

I wonder if my old goosedown bags got that double zip toggle fitting?

Thanks for putting this big spike on my brainwave chart. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE