Hammock warmth

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
After looking for an underblanket for a friend who's getting into hammock camping. I came across an interesting concept. It seems to be a technique of suspending a hammock through a sleeping bag and tying up thereby acting as an underblanket and quilt. Been referred to as peapodding.
So to my fellow tree dwellers.
Has anyone tried this? Is it a regular sleeping bag? Are there any pros or cons to doing it over my normal underblanket and sleeping bag?
Seems it would save a lot of wasted space if I could leave the underblanket at home. Got myself a new bedroll (cheers bopdude!) for summer camping and short trips but still like my **** off the ground from Autumn to spring

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Jacks R Better sent me one of their pods by accident a few years ago, I tried it out but didn't like being enclosed like that, it took away the appeal of a hammock not having a view. I think if you're in deep cold like -25*c and beyond then it would be useful having a pod along, but for UK winters I don't think they're required. If I ever get to the arctic for a sled hauling trip I'll be considering a pod system for toasty hanging.

The idea of using an underblanket is you pair it up with a top quilt, so taking up the slightly more pack space than a sleeping bag but functioning much better on a hammock.

I think if you can find a nice big sleeping bag it's an easy thing to try

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
It's something I've thought of trying to make, I have an old surplus bag for the job, been thinking along the lines of making it modular, zips down both sides so you can use it as a pod, an underblanket and top quilt or regular bag, if it doesn't work out then it's not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Megapod :D

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126567

*edit
Above was me just messing about really. When i get a sewing machine i will be making something more practical out of this very lightweight bag

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133054

Both of these are more coccoon than peapod but just shows a couple of options
That's actually more akin to what I was looking at doing to be honest! Got a 300gsm sleep pod I could butcher for it
It's something I've thought of trying to make, I have an old surplus bag for the job, been thinking along the lines of making it modular, zips down both sides so you can use it as a pod, an underblanket and top quilt or regular bag, if it doesn't work out then it's not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
That's a good idea actually. If and when my sewing skills improve I might just do that

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Heres a proper arctic grade peapod at -40*c

As shewi said, it does look a bit restrictive

-40? Bah! In Sunderland we call that June! Tattoos are insulation enough in that :p
In all seriousness though that does look restrictive and bloody cold :lmao:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I think a hammock overcover like my comedy efforts above could be made almost as warm but FAR more comfortable than a peapod

Dewi, minus 40 aint so bad......at least you know it wont rain!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Coldest I've been out in was -26c and that wasn't pleasant... and I usually like cold weather. Less people about when you go for a walk and a lot less people on the roads locally.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE