Hammock support ropes/hammock mod

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi guys,

I'm looking to mod a dd hammock and want to replace the the standard ribbon material with something a bit more heavy duty and have always got on really well with the Hennessy hammock which are more of a rope!

Does anyone know what material Hennessy use for their support ropes or what would be a suitable substitute?
I'm assuming it should have no stretch and I want it it be a round rope (maybe 6-8mm) not a ribbon or webbing so I can prussic onto it easily and connect via tree huggers and rings.

Cheers in advance.

Hamster

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I used continuous loops made out of amsteel, they went through the channel on the Dd. These attached to the whoppie slings using a soft shackle and then the whoopie sling attached to the tree hugger using something... ahggggg brain dead sorry.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I used continuous loops made out of amsteel, they went through the channel on the Dd. These attached to the whoppie slings using a soft shackle and then the whoopie sling attached to the tree hugger using something... ahggggg brain dead sorry.

I just larks head the fixed loop of the whoopie sling into the channel - your way sounds very convoluted

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
actually not a bad way of doing it if using whoopie hooks - the continuous loop would be where the whoopie hook would ahh clip onto the hammock - this avoids the MSH because the WS would be "permanently" attached to the tree strap

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The soft shackle between the loop and whoopie acts as a drip ring instead of the whoopie running water in to the hammock.

The free end of the whoopie fulfills that function on mine, although I've never found it to be a problem - my tarp is quite large, though :D

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Thanks guys, its looking like dyneema will be the way to go then!

Im hoping to get this finished up over xmas and will post a quick review on my first trip out with it.

Cheers, Hamster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE