Hammock supplier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I've got fed up with ticks and other things crawling into my sleeping bag, and being quite impressed with the posts and experiences of others who use hammocks thought I might give it a go. I stumbled on the following website: http://www.directhammocks.com/ who appear to make similar hammocks to Hennessey et al, (look under travel hammocks). Anyway, I wondered if anyone has used them? Are they any good?

Greg

Rod

On a new journey
Hi Greg,

I have got a Hennessey and I love it. A very comfortable night's sleep that is bug free. You may feel a little sea-sick when you first use one - till your body gets used to the swaying motion of a hammock, but once you drop off ... ZZzzzzzz's. A Hennessy will set you back about £100. If you want a hex-fly that will cost another £55 and the Snakeskins (a must for easy packing) £20. Check out http://woodlandorganics.com/; or email Jack or Jamie at that site for more info

The Ray Mear's Eco system will set you back £230, or; you could take Neil's advice and make your own - his design is really solid - buy a hootchie from a military surplus shop and a mosi net from a good outdoor store (The LifeSystems Expedition is military green and is permethrin coated) and the whole job should come in comfortably under £100, probably. This gives you the same type of set-up.

Hope this helps

fiacha

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
Neil1 said:
Greg,
Why not make your own, my instructions are in the articles section of the BCUK mainpage, takes about 45 minutes to make.
Neil

Neill,

Any idea if that design would support 128KG ? (yes, I do know who ate all the pies :))

If not, any ideas of how best to re-inforce it ? best materials etc.

Thanks,
A.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
fiacha said:
Neill,

Any idea if that design would support 128KG ? (yes, I do know who ate all the pies :))

If not, any ideas of how best to re-inforce it ? best materials etc.

Thanks,
A.
fiacha

If you check out the specs for the Hennessy Hammock 'Explorer Deluxe' model I have copied below from their web site, which is rated up to 300lb which is around 136kg, that should give you a good idea on materials, rope rating etc for a home made ;)

Just be double careful testing it when first using it as you would any home or indeed any hammock as even shop brought ones have been known to fail.

Good luck :)

EXPLORER DELUXE ASYM
n 2lbs. 12 oz. / 1240 gr.

Specifications

Weight: 2 lbs. 12oz. /1240 gr.
Weight limit: 300 lbs.
Suspension System: 10' long 2700 lb. test low-stretch polyester core ropes with polyester cover
2" wide x 42" long nylon webbing straps called "tree huggers"
Hammock dimensions: 108" x 48"
Hammock fabric: 210 D oxford nylon
Canopy dimensions: - a parallelogram with - long side = 97" - short side = 65" - long diagonal = 125" - short diagonal = 108"
Canopy fabric: 1.1 oz. 30 D Silicone nylon
Mesh: 1 oz. 20 D No-See-Um netting
Stuff sack: Logo and set up instructions printed on ripstop nylon bag.
Set-up-time: 3 minutes
Packed size: 6" x 12"
Suggested retail price: $189.00 US

fiacha

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
cheers moonraker, i should have thought of looking there myself. I think i'll borrow the mothers sewing machine next week and have a go.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
fiacha said:
cheers moonraker, i should have thought of looking there myself. I think i'll borrow the mothers sewing machine next week and have a go.
My pleasure mate. Let us know how it goes :)

Neil1 said:
Greg,
Why not make your own, my instructions are in the articles section of the BCUK mainpage, takes about 45 minutes to make.
Neil
Neil, do you have a direct link as I can't seem to be able to find this article on the BCUK home page. Thanks ;)

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
Greg,
you might be interested in the one I had delivered last week.
Go to www.silvermans.co.uk and search for mosquito hammock.

The picture doesn't really do it justice. They've hung it out by the roof for a start.

It's got a bed about 8ft long. Easily long enough for my 6'2" frame. Sewn to this is a mossi net about 18" high. It extends straight up, and is entered by a zip along the side. It is topped off by a roof of lightweight nylon, which extends 6" or so beyond the netting. When pegged out, it looks like a suspended tent more than anything.
It's only £35, and it rolls up to a similar size to a '58 poncho.

I've yet to field test it, but I slept in it in the cellar ( I have ringbolts in the roof. I also have an understanding girlfriend ) and it feels just fine.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Thanks for the link, to be honest, I think I'll probably be building my own at some stage. I am actually in the middle of changing career so things are pretty hectic at the mo, and I think my boss knows I am not happy working here so he is dumping loads of work on my desk.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I have found Silvermans to have gotten a little pricey of recent. The same stuff can generally be found cheaper, and with truly excellent service, from Soldier of Fortune at http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/ The pocket hammocks are not bad as an occasional user. Bit cheap and nasty, but, hey, they are cheap and compact! Just make sure to change the horrid plastic 'rope' for something a little better. And longer.
However, Silverman's do stock some more obscure stuff, and are fairly cheap for the old Swedish flint. Incidentally, I saw one going on ebay for £10.50!!! Some people, eh?

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Thinking about it- what's the easiest way to get in a bivvy bag and sleeper in a hammock? I've always got in the bags, then maggotted my way into the hammock then when comfy and secure, put my arms in the bag. How do you do it?

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I built one of these some time back, the only problem I found was that over a period of time (months), the knots at either end work their way out, unfortunately, because the angle between the knotted cloth and the ribbon is quite steep (and has to be to stop the knot slipping), the weave of the cloth tends to weaken substantially with the eventual failure of the material (I tried ripstop and canvas). I have two personal requirements for "kit", the first that it is cheap, the second that it will last. Consequently I want something a little more permanent.

Although I don't have access to a sewing machine, I really do like Neil's design, and I think I will probably give that a go (with some minor additions for comfort).

However, I'm also trying to get away from the fraudulant b*******s I work for, so am really short of cash at the mo. Will probably do this in about 6 months time when I have sorted out my life.

Greg.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
The school of signals museum at blandford have jungle hammocks for sale at only £20, and having tried them can confirm they're very comfy. The info with them states that you're only supposed to sleep inside them in an emergency but it seems fine to me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE