Hammock Stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Here's a hammock stand. It was built to fit into the box room which has become my indoor space for my carp. The photos are in situ and it really IS a box room so not a lot of space to manoeuvre.

IMG_20150202_183347_zpsiccrqw85.jpg

Looking one way

IMG_20150202_183410_zpsspenutie.jpg

Then the other

IMG_20150202_183435_zps2lmihekt.jpg

The other end is the same... The material was left in the back garden of the house I moved into last year and I was trying to put it to a good use. I did buy 10 metres of M10 threaded bar [cause it was cheaper than buying the bolts]

I didn't realise how low the hammock would be slung I suppose I could chop the end bits down a little, although I'm thinking of making it extendable so I can take it outdoors. I have found that a hammock suspended that closely to it's end's isn't as comfortable as a hammock that has a couple of metres of rope between it and the supports, the material doesn't seem to drape/ hang as nice.

Anyway I just wanted to lay in my hammock in the house [unfortunately I don't get much time to lie down:(] and this does the job...

This was my sketch which passed some time at work...

My%20Hammock%20Stand_zpskjv1imij.png

Still not as nice as this one....

viking%20hammock%20stand%2001_zpslgjmjfmi.jpg

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nice work on the diy frame.

I have to say I would hate to fall out of that dragon hammock, and it does look a bit tippy. The landing looks painful :eek:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Well I bought a jerven bag [from here recently] and thought I could use it with my hammock, so spent an afternoon playing around. As the jerven bag is basically a big rectangle with zips round the edges it lent itself quite well to a cocoon type thing:-

2015-08-01%2009.53.04_zpsk5h2v0ay.jpg

Above:- totally enclosed

2015-08-01%2009.58.49_zpsvl8vcjac.jpg

Above:- Ready for entry.

2015-08-01%2009.57.44_zpsv5mlm0hk.jpg

Above:- Foot end with zips done right up to secure the bag over the hammock. The webbing is the tree strap with a marlin spike hitch, with a heavy duty ss tent peg as a spike black dyneema as a continuous loop through a channel in the hammock and the bright orange as a hammock ridge line which the jerven bag is slung over.

2015-08-01%2009.58.14_zps3zwi9hof.jpg

Above:- the head end with one side clipped with a mini carabiner to the orange ridge line.

2015-08-01%2010.04.00_zpswk0d0aeq.jpg

Above:- the arm holes give a nice bit of ventilation when inside with the peripheral zips done up, and they happen to be at a good place to be able to breath out of comfortably.

2015-08-01%2010.07.59_zpsqqtjhvx6.jpg

It's quite light with the arm hole open when inside, and there two of them at the top - one on either side of the ridge line. Yet it can be quite dark when it is completely done up, although it gets a bit stuffy.

I'm thinking this will be pretty warm, and combined with an underquilt and light sleeping bag used as a top quilt should take me into the winter months quite comfortably:) - I just have to convince my wife that it's normal to want to sleep outside when it's snowing...

2015-08-01%2010.00.34_zpsawcmaioq.jpg

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Cracking job on the hammock stand, that dragon boat is amazing...looks like something hamish would post on here one day

I tried a highly cheapskate version of your jerven bag coccoon a little while ago

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133054

Coupled with a nice low hanging tarp i reckon it will be super cosy in nasty orrible winter weather.
Even in mine which is nowhere near as enclosed as yours, its amazing how quick you get a micro climate on the go

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE