Hammock sleeping mats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Before I bought an underblanket, I used a British Army issue sleeping mat in my hammock without any problems. These mats are longer than I'm tall ( 6' 1" ) and wider than me, and I'm quite broad. Once I'm asleep though, I tend not to move ( especially in a hammock after a bottle of wine and a whisky nightcap ).

Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve used a 3/4 thermarest in a bivvy bag with my HH, never had any problems as the bivvy stops it going walkabout.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Whenever I've tried using a foam pad in my hammock, I found it a little sweaty by the morning - not too uncomfortable but noticeable, and I wonder about an accumilation of moisture over a period of use. This can be off-set by using blankets of other padding between you and the foam surface but evey extra layer adds to the bulk that you have to carry.
My preference is a homemade underblanket which can double as a sleeping bag if required and can be adjusted to cope with conditions ranging from below freezing to near summer temps.

ATB

Ogri the trog

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Anyone had any experience with using skateboard grip tape on sleeping mats to stop them doing a wander? See for example ebay Item number: 170275738113. Welcome any feedback...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You could buy a reindeer hide from LePrevo, they've had a recent delivery of about 50 and they are knocking them out around the £40-£50 mark I think.
Just an idea, very warm and lightweight too.

as usual; no actual connection to LePrevo just a regular satisfied customer:)

Cheers
R.B.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The latest fabrics for fleeces are non stretch, windproof and yet breathable. They're made from two layers of fleece fabric. If the hammock was made from that would it not solve a lot of the issues that folks have with them ?

cheers,
Toddy

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Ogri - is the homemade underblanket you are refering to the ogripod? And is it suitable for use with a hennessy hammock?
A reindeer hide does seem good, especially at that price however I think it would be a bit bulky for backpacking/walking. I am trying to find something that can be fitted into a rucksack quite easily and is no bigger than a roll mat if possible.
At the moment I'm swaying towards getting the EVA foam mat as this is 2m x 1m I can cut it to an ideal size. Although a the fleece blanket is another option but would it be windproof?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE