Hammock questions/advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Velo_Exp

Jul 13, 2008
South East
Hello,

Been lurking on here for a while and now finally registered. So first of a little background info!

I am looking into light weight exploring with the addition of my trusty bicycle. Initally looking at a Hennessy Hammock, then saw the price and thought twice, so began to look for cheaper alternatives. Someone pointed me in the direction of this site:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=370066372353&_fvi=1

So am thinking about getting one, seems pretty light and compact for carrying about on my bike.

So then I was thinking about sleeping arrangements and was going to go for a snugpack softie 6. But it has been pointed out that the quilt and underlay are a better option, however again the cost of these two raises issues at the moment.

Finally was going to go for a hex stove or Trangia, then found the ebay link so will plump up for one of those.

So my question is does the above hammock seem suitable, what should I look for?

Are karabinas really worth adding to a hammock setup?

Any other sleeping bags that are worth looking at than the Snugpack 6, for packed size.

Finally any other tips or info?

Many thanks,

Sorry if asking questions that have already been asked but I did search!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Regarding the hammock, I bought my first hammock from 10th Wonder, and while it's a very good hammock, it's too short for me. I'm 6' 1" tall, and I've found the Group Buy hammocks to be more suitable. As I missed all the group buys, I bought mine from Mark at Lake land Bushcraft Trading.

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Shelter.html

No connection, other than I'm pleased with what I bought.

Cheers, Michael.

Velo_Exp

Jul 13, 2008
South East
thanks for that,

just found the group buy, hopefully I will be able to get in on it, if not then I will go for the one you mentioned, as sometimes buy cheap=buy twice.

How is the hammock btw?

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
>I am looking into light weight exploring with the addition of my trusty bicycle. Initally >looking at a Hennessy Hammock, then saw the price and thought twice, so began to >look for cheaper alternatives. Someone pointed me in the direction of this site:

Dont forget the henessy comes with Tarp and mosquito net..
I have no experiance with 10th wonder but if you get the hammock I recommend getting a tarp to otherwise you get wet ;)

> But it has been pointed out that the quilt and underlay are a better option, however >again the cost of these two raises issues at the moment.
Yuo will need something under you for insulation as the wind chill is quite alot you can use a normal camping mat or get a couple of those tin foil insulatiing mats for the windscreen of a car and use those underneath its light cheap and it works. lay one length ways the other across your shoulders.
Any sleeping bag is ok and a quilt is also ok I tend to y#use a sleeping bag open as a quilt and put my feet inside the bag to save getting cold feet ;)

>Finally was going to go for a hex stove or Trangia, then found the ebay link so will plump >up for one of those.
Trangia swiss army is ok you can get all you stuff in a small place, this includes pans and fry pan and meths etc etc the hex stove is smaller but then you need the pots and pans so space is not saved that much, advantage of a trangia is that it packs together quite small.

>So my question is does the above hammock seem suitable, what should I look for?

Any hammock is ok as long as it keeps you off the ground and will not tear. I suggest a coupe of carabiners to stop water dripping own the lines and also a tarp to stop getting wet.

>Are karabinas really worth adding to a hammock setup?
Well if you dont want to get wet at the ends.. yes and no. You can use the rope tied to a tree then tie a smaller piece of string to form a drip but for ease of use I find carabiners better you dont need expensive ones but you do need load b earing ones check ou yor local climbing club see if they have any old ones to give away ;)

>Any other sleeping bags that are worth looking at than the Snugpack 6, for packed size.
I have a nanok -35 down bag its brilliant and does what it says it does ;) i.e I have never been cold in it!

>Finally any other tips or info?
If you take a hammock be prepared for sleeping on the ground most places dont have trees that are the right distance apart!! So you may have to ground dwell if thats the case you will need a insulative mat. Take two trekking poles or biny poles to set up a tarp on the floor.Make sure you tie your tarp tight as a sagging tarp gets you wet to..
Thats about it have fun ;)

Simon

Velo_Exp

Jul 13, 2008
South East
thanks for the tips,

forgot to mention I have a insulating mat. Also have mess tins to use, hence ebay stove thing.

Will probably get karabs and will also get a tarp.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Velo,
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of hammock camping.
My main advice would be to get your hammock sorted out before you take it on a cycling expedition, one bad nights sleep could spoil the whole future for you. Find somewhere you can try out your foam pad in your hammock - it mght be that a single pad is too narrow inside the hammock and you might want to think about a "Segmented pad" or a "Winged pad" to increase coverage and versatility. www.imrisk.com has loads of budget ideas on hammocking tips and has links to several U.S. based hammock sites.

Most important is that you post your findings here as everybody's set up is a little different and we can all benefit from things that we've not considered before.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Velo_Exp

Jul 13, 2008
South East
Ok,

right, I've had a think about things. The original idea was lightweight, small size and low cost.

All to be transported on my camelback bike hence the size issue.

My aim is to pack as much into my camel back as possible so here is the idea:

3ltr of water in camelbak (for cooking, rice/pasta/oats)
tenth dimension hammock (sticking with cheap)
mess tins
hexi stove
car reflector for insulation of hammock
karabinas
sleeping bag
tarp

Hopefully once I bought all of this, I will try and fit it in my bag and show results.

So that is my plan, however funds are an issue as is time at the moment. once all that is sorted then I will see how it goes.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
3ltr of water in camelbak (for cooking, rice/pasta/oats)
tenth dimension hammock (sticking with cheap)
mess tins
hexi stove
car reflector for insulation of hammock
karabinas
sleeping bag
tarp
To keep it cheap.....
Empty coke bottle for the water.. Use the saved cash for a millbnank bag and iodine tincture
Make your own hammock mind you for 12 quid you probabaly couldnt make your own for that!
Take a plate from the house!
Hexi stove nice and cheap
Car reflector
Instead of carabiners tie a small piece of string a little way down the tree rope before it gets to the hammock this will divert the rain and save about 15 quid on carbiners ;)
Sleeping bag
tarp-can be made from a tarp from the building suppliers this will be a few quid!!
Paracord..
Make a baked bin can billy and your threre ;)

Good luck and as the previous poster put up your gear and try it hammock sleeping is a bit different the first night you probvabaly will not sleep well then after that iot gets better so do a couple of trial runs in thegarden!!

Velo_Exp

Jul 13, 2008
South East
ok, it looks like I can get a dd hammock.
I have a couple of mates who are into climbing and may be able to get some free karabiners!

May go for the cheap tarp, forgive my ignorance what is paracord, used for?

Already have camelbak so negative cost.
Also just discovered the penny stove so may give that a go.
Mess tins were handed down to me from a grandparent so sorted!

It's all coming together!

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
, forgive my ignorance what is paracord, used for?

It is extremely strong and durable cord that has many uses including making it into fishing line snares guy ropes for tent or tarp boot laces weave into handles for knives its a very useful bit of kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE