hammock question......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Had my first couple of nights sleep in my hammock and i have a few questions :)

1, I used a camping roll matt inbetween the layers on my hammock but i didn't actually find this as comfortable as without it, I'm getting a underquilt so should be better however i'm out again this weekend so trying to figure out what to do any advice?

2, I tend to run quite hot and currently i'm using the czeck bed roll which i think is too hot for me should i go and get a 1 season sleeping bag for my next trip?

on the plus side I managed to sleep ok both nights and even had a thunderstorm on the first night and didn't get wet / damp at all so looking forward this weekend where i can go out again.

Cade

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I find that ccf mats do tend to wander about in the layers and can be uncomfortable if thick. The thinner ones tend to mould better to your body. Underquilt is deffo the way forward. This time of year i use a lightweight bag open like a quilt. tesco were doing some for £6 the other week and they would be plenty warm enough in quit mode. Are you using the bivvy bag on the bed roll too or just the blanket and liner? If so id get rid of the outer bag.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Cade.

Mats always affect the comfort slightly. Some mats are more flexible than others too. If its warm, I tend to use one of those foam car windshield reflectors. Its the same foam as you get a new TV wrapped in and that will work too if you can't handle the mat.

As for insulation on top, I get away with a sleeping bag liner in this weather and wear a fleece to bed if its a bit nippy in the early hours. If you've got the cash though, a 1 season is about right at the moment.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
You won't need the Czech bed roll in a hammock. If you were warm enough with the blanket you'll be Ok. I used a closed cell foam mat in my hammock before I got an under quilt, and I used it all below zero. A sleeping bag will keep the wind off you better than a blanket though.

Cheers, Michael.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Just another little tip for you Cade, I dont no what you had in mind for your underquilt.

I have got the snugpak underquilt, and although its well made, its bulky and heavy, and I have only found it good down to about zero deg.

I would save up a bit more and go straight for a winter down underquilt. you will save money in the long run, thats certainly what I wished I had done, I am now saving up for a down quilt and will have to sell my snugpak to help fund it!!

Cheers
Steve

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I would think in this weather you would be able to do without the mat altogether with the bedroll should be alot comfier till your quilt arrives. i have not got a quilt as yet and my sleeping bag has been enough.
i have now decided to get the sewing machine out and do a top quilt.material is winging its way towards me so will be starting shortly, happy hanging wayne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE