Hammock insulation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Was wondering why hammock users use underquilts etc

Having always slept on the deck i have noticed that if i make a raised bed 6 inches of the ground, heat lost through conduction is nearly non existent, the only problem is convection which i usually fix by making a windbreak.

If your in a hammock and your out of the wind surely, the underquilt is solely for comfort or am i missing something?

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
I suppose radiated heat would obviously be lost but radiant heat loss does not require a lot of insulation to reduce when conduction and convection are at a minimum.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The hammock material is totally exposed to circulating air and has zero insulating quality. You are at ca. 98 deg f substantially warmer than the surrounding air, so will lose heat rapidly, any breeze accelerates the heat loss. . Your weight flattens the sleeping bag under you, so it offers no, or very little insulation. You will be cold at air temperatures much under 70 F. Just as when sleeping on the ground, insulation beneath the sleeper is needed. A pad is both a wind break and insulation. An ubder quilt has insulation and can be a wind break if the outer skin is a suitable material.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
The hammock material is totally exposed to circulating air and has zero insulating quality. You are at ca. 98 deg f substantially warmer than the surrounding air, so will lose heat rapidly, any breeze accelerates the heat loss. . Your weight flattens the sleeping bag under you, so it offers no, or very little insulation. You will be cold at air temperatures much under 70 F. Just as when sleeping on the ground, insulation beneath the sleeper is needed. A pad is both a wind break and insulation. An ubder quilt has insulation and can be a wind break if the outer skin is a suitable material.

what he said cos i could not have put it better

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Or, if you need it put more simply, it really does get cold, even in summer - at the bushmoot my friend with his 3/4 season down bag got my underblanket which I took off the bring and buy table due to his all night coldness.

I find a semi inflated inflating matress works well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE