Hammock insulation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
OK, I'm aware of underbalnkets, but can you get something that does all the way over rather than just under? I'm sure I've seen people with what looks like a total sleeping bag over the whole hammock.

Not got any experience with the insulation side of hammocks apart from using a thermarest in the bit between the two layers under me in one of my hammocks, didn't like it much!

Can someone point me in the right direction, did think about making one from woollen blankets, but size and weight are too much really...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The IDW Snugpak Cocoon fastens over the top, Lurch sells them at Lakeland Bushcraft I think.

If you want to spend a few more pennies on a lighter version you could import the Speers Hammocks Peapod, similar sort of design but filled with down rather than synthetic. Half the weight but twice the price :)
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm
I got sent one in error so had a quick look before sending it back.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Forgot to mention Unsponsored is making some really nice underblankets, have a look in the Makers Market. If there's nothing that takes your fancy he'll probably make you one to spec. Top bloke who'll answer any questions too.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I prefer full length too so went for the Snugpak underblanket a couple of years ago, I recently sold it to reduce bulk and weight and so treated myself to one of these

You can still get a shorter 3/4 UB which is good for winter but you need to get more fill inside it. If you match up a good winter UB with a short section of mat for you legs and feet then they're good down to 0c no problem.

I'll probably switch from my Snugfit to the 3/4 this month and then to just a mat later on in the year.

Gailainne

Life Member
The 3/4 version is what a lot of US hammockers use, have a look on the hammockforum, I used a 3/4 Unsponsored one at the weekend, it was a bit light for the temp (its a summer u/b) but I wanted to try it, and it worked fine.

The places you get cold in a hammock are the obvious ones, the pressure points, the worst is your rear end, and the other is your heels, shoulders and head I've never had a problem with, and I've slept in -10 C in a hammock.

The 3/4 covers your back, rear and part of your legs, and you use your jacket, etc to put under your feet.

The advantage of the 3/4 is its lighter, smaller so it packs smaller.

Have a good read on hammockforums, ask questions, they are a good bunch of guys always willing to help.

Stephen

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I prefer full length too so went for the Snugpak underblanket a couple of years ago, I recently sold it to reduce bulk and weight and so treated myself to one of these

You can still get a shorter 3/4 UB which is good for winter but you need to get more fill inside it. If you match up a good winter UB with a short section of mat for you legs and feet then they're good down to 0c no problem.

I'll probably switch from my Snugfit to the 3/4 this month and then to just a mat later on in the year.

Bleeding 'ell Shewie! Were you drinking at the time? :D That's a mighty expensive underblanket.. must be warm though. It says okay to 30F which by my watch says a smidgen under 0c? How does it work out in practice?

Cheers,

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Bleeding 'ell Shewie! Were you drinking at the time? :D That's a mighty expensive underblanket.. must be warm though. It says okay to 30F which by my watch says a smidgen under 0c? How does it work out in practice?

Cheers,

I've been toasty down to -7 since I got it in January but that's combined with my Alpkit four season bag. I used them both at Loch Long at the weekend but had to unzip my bag in the night, I think it was supposed to get down to 0c that night but I'm not sure. I think the ratings on the website are fairly conservative from what I've read on Hammockforums though.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Its a trade off between bulk/warmth/weight. I come from the lightweight backpacking side of things so want small pack sizes, low bulk. As Gailianne has said its the pressure points that are key. I use a 3/4 and use my pack or spare clothes under my feet. As I sleep on the diagonal the UQ provides more coverage than sleeping straight down the centre. Think Pythagoras. I prefer the flexibility of an UQ and TQ or sleeping bag.

My UQs have been put to good use over the Winter months by quite a few of the guys on here and Song of the Paddle. Some have been down to -8 deg C with my winter versions. I have also made full length UQ at around 220cm in length with shed loads of down. They were monsters!

One of my next developments will be the ability to fasten two lighter quilts together to either form a double layer 3/4 UQ or a 6/4 UQ. This can be done already but I'll be adding some hardware that will make it much easier.

I'm also toying with an idea I have seen on British blades. The idea of a "pass around". I'd put a quilt out to test/demo and can be used passed around between full members.

I currently have materials for 3/4 or full quilts in either black or brown. Check out the makers forum.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I use the speer peapod, mentioned earlier. It's great, so warm and cozy, definitely worth the money.

My girlfriend uses the Speer Snugfit underquilt. I think the 30F rating is incredibly conservative.
In the warmer months I use a Warbonnet 2/3 UQ with a blue mat under my feet if needed. I always carry the blue mat anyway incase I need to go to ground, so it makes sense.

Unsponsored, are your underquilts differentially cut?

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
jesus wept shewie man did your credit commit suicide or something cos thats a bit expensive isnt it nice like and when the rents stop badgering about to much kit probly get me self one cos your right the snugpack one doesnt pack small says he with a sugpack antarctic RE sleeping bag the biggest and probably the bulkiest bag ever but hey i like my warmth then again maybe it over kill but then again maybe not considering winter just gone

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
So, looks like the full length underblanket would be enough for me, rather than a full wrap-around type. Got a decent sleeping bag if it gets cold, as long as the underside is warm. Will have a look around, may make one myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE