Hammock help

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Morning everyone
I'm going on a canoe trip in Scotland in may. I will be in a hammock at camp, the hammock I currently have is a DD camping hammock.
Now because of all the midges I was thinking about buying a separate mozzy net, but I could use this opportunity to updated my hammock as iv been using my current one for about 5 years now. So that's what I plan on doing, BUT, im stuck for choices here travel or front line? ?? They both look the same in different materials, what do you guys recommend, I want to stay with DD as the products I have got from them in the past have never failed me and have always met my needs.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Most mozzy nets won't deter midges, as the mesh size is too big and they fly straight through (ask me how I know this). You need netting rated for midges. I bought some midge netting and got the wife to sew it on my hammock. Whatever make you go for make sure the netting will keep midges out. Best to ring the manufacturer and ask.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Hi

I have the same hammock as you. I was actually thinking about m,aking my own midge net using material sourced from these folks

http://www.midgerange.com.

Might be a bit fussy doing it as the material is delicate but it can be done apparently.

I was watching a youtube vid a few months back , showing how to make midge net for hammocks.

Def recommended up here, you don't mess with Scottish Midge's if you can help it. They are the Wings o' Misery.

Pete

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi

I have the same hammock as you. I was actually thinking about m,aking my own midge net using material sourced from these folks

http://www.midgerange.com.

Might be a bit fussy doing it as the material is delicate but it can be done apparently.

I was watching a youtube vid a few months back , showing how to make midge net for hammocks.

Def recommended up here, you don't mess with Scottish Midge's if you can help it. They are the Wings o' Misery.

Pete

My wife said the midge netting was a pig to sew!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The DD midge netting is pretty fine, I have a couple and they keep them midges out no problem. They're based up here so...

Seems like the difference between the two is that the travel hammock has a waterproof floor to let you bivvy on the deck with it. If that is something you think you would do then go with that. I have an old one, more akin to the frontline, I sleep hotter so prefer a breathable surface underneath me. If I was going to bivvy on the deck then I would use a bivvy bag to keep the water out.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
All the DD midge netting will stop midges.

In May though, they are not going to be very bad. They really pick up in numbers from june to july.

If you want the option to sleep on the ground, the Travel is a better choice. It's also slightly warmer but only if you keep control of your sweat. It's not a hammock to use inside a sleeping bag-you'll need to use it as a quilt to stop moisture build up. For pure hammocking, the Frontline will be better.

Personally, I don't take a midge net outside of June-Sept usually. If it's windy and raining or sub zero nights, there will be very few midges.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Depends on your budget.
You can either go all the way and buy a very nice hammock with proper bug netting built in. Or get a bug sock made for your hammock.
Speak to this guy: http://ukhammocks.co.uk First of all he have been around including the jungle so he knows a thing or two about bugs. And secondly you might get a little discount if you ask nicely. Currently he is the only one making custom hammock gear in UK. He will also supply raw materials if you want to go the DIY route.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
DD do seperate midge proof bug nets for their hammocks. Unless you're upgrading to something other than another DD that's the way I would go. Otherwise you'd be better jumping on v the hammock forum and doing a spot of research to see what suits you best.

I got a hammock bliss sky bed bug free which I'm very pleased with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE