Hammock hanging, gap distance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Hi
Very new to the site and wanted to ask a quick question
I would like to purchase a DD tarp and hammock to start trying out in the garden, I have a old 6 1/2 ft concrete post and a big tree in the garden to anchor to, but the distance between the two is about 28ft so I'm assuming this is too bigger gap??
I think my only option is a travel hammock so I can at least use it as a bivi...what do you think?
thanks
Con

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
If you fit a structural ridgeline to the hammock (much easier on one without a fixed bug net) then it's easy to set up with a large gap. I'll try find a few photos but as long as you have long enough static straps you should be fine across that distance, you can tension them to keep the height up as much as needed but with a structural ridgeline the angle will still be right for a decent sleep.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
With something like that if you can tension the Green lines enough you should be fine across any distance, within reason.

Don't think he's gonna do it at 6ft high over 28 feet dude.
at a guess, you've got a drop of the best part of three feet from ridge line to the bottom of the hammock....and thats before you get in it. reckon i could winch it tight enough lol

Op, if you've got one tree you could think about sinking a post in at a more reasonable 15 feet'ish

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If you have a substantial tree, you need only that and a length of 4x2.

This is how I have my hammock in my garden, the tree is more than up to the task of my weight and the beam handles the force of my weight pulling the hammock ends together. When not in use, the end away from the tree can be pulled up very easily.

attachment.php

Not the best photo but I hope it gives you an idea... it's ridiculously simple.

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
28 feet is a long way but I think with a structural ridgeline and whoopies it'll work with the tree straps at about 9'. It'll put alot more strain on straps, whoopies and ridge-line so maybe use 4mm dyneema. Occasionally I've had to span larger gaps and used a stick to push the tree straps up higher which helps.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
hanging from a concrete fence post sounds like a fairly scary process- they're only usually embedded a little way down. I wouldn't personally want it to shift and smack me on the head, but then again, 28feet away you'll only have a sore bottom.

A bit of 4x4 braced diagonally is what I have for posts.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
hanging from a concrete fence post sounds like a fairly scary process- they're only usually embedded a little way down. I wouldn't personally want it to shift and smack me on the head, but then again, 28feet away you'll only have a sore bottom.

A bit of 4x4 braced diagonally is what I have for posts.

have you got a picture of your set up tim_n ?
I was thinking about doing this as I only need one post i already have a large tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tB0IvZnng

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE