Hammock Development

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thats a cool idea, and looks very comfortable. How does it fair with a tarp? I would have thought you'd need 4 trees instead of 2?

Still, well done!

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
...i could be bothered with all the faffing with the different lines ...

Dave

the guy lines are adjusted once, and then you just forget them (the lines on the edge are somewhat looser than the ones in the centre), no more fiddling around with them.

and the faffing to fixing the mat to the hammock is because the buttons were not strong enough....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like that, it should be easy to attach a down underquilt too if needed (but then you'd lose the mat structure)

The only couple of down sides I can see is that you can't do much else other than lye down in it. I like to make coffee or breakfast whilst still lying in bed, it could be awkward doing that between the cords. The other thing is that you lose the seat option of sitting sideways, no biggy I suppose if you just want to sleep in it though. If you sat on the end of it would you end up on the floor? I see that bit has been edited out :)

Great work though, I'd love to see how this develops

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
I like that, it should be easy to attach a down underquilt too if needed (but then you'd lose the mat structure)

The only couple of down sides I can see is that you can't do much else other than lye down in it. I like to make coffee or breakfast whilst still lying in bed, it could be awkward doing that between the cords. The other thing is that you lose the seat option of sitting sideways, no biggy I suppose if you just want to sleep in it though. If you sat on the end of it would you end up on the floor? I see that bit has been edited out :)

Great work though, I'd love to see how this develops

Thanks for the comments and feedback! I'm not such big fan of underquilts because one has to be rather careful when fixing it under you so it is close and so you do not have "channels" where the warm air escapes (especially when you like to change your position at night).

With the mat, even though you have the freedom to move around lots , the insulation capacity doesn't realy change. I slept in it and it insulates nicely. Also, you dont't really slide of the mat because it is the lowest position in the system and there are the flaps on the side which give an indication where you are.

Breakfast from the hammock and "camp lounging" is less attractive and not as comfy as from the "normal" hammock.

The sitting on the edge part I'll show in the next vid! it is not as dangerous as it may appear, it's actually surprisingly stable:cool:

the dirt marks on the bottom are due to the fact that I started testing practically lying on the ground (wasn't sure if the seams would hold)...

I keep you updated and hope I can show the new version soon.

P@

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Good on you for giving this a go, a perpendicular lay hammock was discussed on hammock forums a while ago but I never saw 'owt come of it. I wondered if you put in a semi structural adjustable ridge line attached by two steel collars which "bunch" each set of lines at the top then this could be adjusted in one go to alter the lay of the hammock?

Do you get enough coverage from your tarp? And what do you think the smallest distance between trees you can use is?

Cheers

Mike

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
Good on you for giving this a go, a perpendicular lay hammock was discussed on hammock forums a while ago but I never saw 'owt come of it. I wondered if you put in a semi structural adjustable ridge line attached by two steel collars which "bunch" each set of lines at the top then this could be adjusted in one go to alter the lay of the hammock?

Do you get enough coverage from your tarp? And what do you think the smallest distance between trees you can use is?

Cheers

Mike

aahh, very good questions:
will try to minimise the distance between the two trees. its a bit tricky because the closer they are (or, say, the shorter the guy lines), the stronger their "buckling" effect for the isomat (i.e. compressing the isomat along its length).
and yes, i definitely will play around with taught ridgelines. but if fear it will have to be attached to high up the tree. we'll see.
the tarp seems ok so far if you use it "diagonally" (9x9feet). i'll make a dedicated tarp though, with flaps to "close the door"...

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE