Hammock Cordage Configuration Question (with imgae)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I'm in the process of making what I hope will be a 'bomb-proof' and comfortable hammock.

Can anyone with previous hammock DIY experience/relevant engineering skills, advise on which cordage configuration is likely to work the best.

I need the hammock bed to be as rigid as possible both laterally and width-wise hence the spreader bars and the use of Dyneema.

The image should enlarge when clicked on.

Hammock.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use the top version and find it works a treat :)
I use climbing tape for my side/hanging stuff instead of Dynema with the ends terminating in loops to take a screwgate crab. A separate length of tape is used to tie it off to a tree.
I also incorporate a heavy duty cam action buckle from my old canoe roof rack tie down straps in each "triangle" - opposite sides at each end - to allow fine tuning of the hang.P7200001.jpg
Not the best photo (the hammock is tilted because I have gear stored off centre in it) but I think you can see the basic layout...

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Have a look on hammockforums.com in the diy section, take a pot of tea with you though, there's an awful lot of decent information there

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
That looks like a nice design Jaeger, :) One winter a few years ago when I worked on deep sea trawlers, I was fed up doing 'figure of eights' in my bunk. So after hauling time on one trip I made a full mesh woven hammock (like a mini trawl net) with gathered ends, very comfy and far less pitching!

i used the same twine as the stuff we were dragging around the ocean, probably 6mm woven pe twine, tough as old boots! :) any chandler coast or online will have something suitable. Is it for the garden or woods use?

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Thanks for the prompt replies JF and TM - I didn't answer straight away as I didn't want others to think the quest was over.

Thanks SD and TM - I will look into those sites in due course.

I was erring towards the first option too JF as I think that it will give the best equal-ing out of load on the cordage although I suspect that option 4 might be the same and theoretically allow the hammock position to be adjusted along the support lines if needed?

Am I right that you have used ratchet type adjusters John or are the cam action buckles different?

Woodspirits - the intention is to be able to use the set-up mainly in woodland.

Right - kettle on - hammockforum etc here we go!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE