Hammock Choice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Okay I am in the market for a Hammock. From my research I am down to a Pro Pod or a Hennessy Explorer.

The Pro Pod looks more comfortable and is cheaper but would not keep out insects unless I buy the netting. It is also cheaper has Pockets and clips etc. At 3m long it is likely to project past the ends of my tarp does this mean it will get wet.

The Hennessy comes with insect mesh and tarp so actually is about the same overall cost as the Pod. The Tarp looks as if it would not keep out the rain very well but if it is well designed as people say I find this hard to believe but still it looks that way.

These are just a few of my thoughts so far. Can you help me with more details etc. Also bare in mind I am 6 foot 3 inches tall so the hammock must be suitable for someone my size (worryingly on Jack's site is says the hennessay is comfortable for those UP TO 6 foot makes me wonder about those over 6 foot)

AtDhVaAnNkCsE

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Sounds to me like you are the ideal candidate for the Hennessy Ultralite Explorer. This one is designed for people greater than 6 foot tall.

The build quality on these things is amazing - all the cuts and seams are perfect and the fit and finish is wonderful. The tarp is something that might, on the face of it look odd but it is well made and offers good coverage.

Also, the instructions are excellent and, if you go for the snake skins too, you have a system that you could have up and running in minutes.

MagiKelly

So where do you get this model?

Also does the built in tarp mean I do not need to carry my own tarp any more?

And one last question. I like to be able to see around me when I am sleeping outdoors. Can you do this in the Hammock or do the sides come up and block your view?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Also does the built in tarp mean I do not need to carry my own tarp any more?
Thats up to you really.... The tarp on the hennessy does unclip so you can use it seperately :) On the safari delux model the tarp is a huge hex shaped thing.... that would be great to use on its own.

I like to be able to see around me when I am sleeping outdoors. Can you do this in the Hammock or do the sides come up and block your view?
The sides of the hammock on the hennessy are held out by guy-lines, with your head right at the top you can see clearly around you (unless you've pulled your tarp right down to a steep angle). You can also sit up in them ;-)

Ed

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
IMO (although i havent ried anything else) the hennessey is excellent. I havent spent a night in it yet, although i have tried it and it is very comfortable.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
hennesy

98hammock.jpg

98P1010055.jpg

says it all

MagiKelly

More questions.

What is the difference between the ultralite explorer and just the plain explorer and yes I realise the ultralite is lighter but how much lighter and how is it achieved. What compramises are made to reduce weight?

Now from my quick search the Pro Pd would cost me £55 and be plenty big but I would use my own tarp and bug net. The Hennessy would be £120. Is it really that much better?

Thanks again.

jakunen

Native
Personally I'd got for the Hennessy Expedition Asym. Only weighs a couple of pounds and is nice and roomy. BUT get the hex fly, gives you more cover so you can store your pack underneath and also as it comes down lower, you don't get woken up by the sun quite so early.

The lighter hammocks are achieved by using slightly lower spec materials. I don't mean lower QUALITY, just that a 'light' hammock will not take as heavy a person as a full strength, heavier model.

Jack at Woodland sells both items (FANTASTIC service, btw, cheers Jack!). You can also get them from the US at a slightly longer delivery time if you search on e-bay. My brother got me one as a late (4 years combined - cheapskate!) birthday and Xmas present on there. OK, it took 3 weeks to come, but the Asym cost only $60 INCLUDING shipping.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
What is the difference between the ultralite explorer and just the plain explorer and yes I realise the ultralite is lighter but how much lighter and how is it achieved. What compramises are made to reduce weight?
Lighter fabric is used and it is slightly smaller. The fly sheet for example on the ultralite is made from sil-nylon which is very lightweight.
Both are excellent quality and well built.

Ed

jakunen

Native
Loooks like its mainly the ropes, btu would think the weight of the nylon would affect it too. Obviously if the material could only hold 100lb, but the rope could hold 500lb, you know which would give first...

The material must be biased against the rope and tapes to give the required holding strength.

MagiKelly

tedw said:
Thanks Ted

Great mind must think alike. I was just out bid last night on the previous Explorer thay were selling. Just need to keep my eyes open. I have also sent an Email to Jack about the Explorer and possibly a Hex fly & Snake skins. Although to be honest it looks like I might be as well to go for a Safari as it has a Hex fly anyway.

Will see how it goes.

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
As much as I like the hennessey (and I intend to get one soon) The last time I used a hammock I did it on the cheap.

1 small net hammock £5
1 Huge blue tarp (had planned to get a green/cammo one but they had all sold) £5
1 Real of builders nylon string £1

The other people I was with had £150+ tents, by the time they had cleared the sheep 'deposits' and stones I'd got my shelter up and a brew going. The first night it tipped it down myself and a sheep that decided to shelter under my tarp :shock: were the only ones to stay dry.

It carried on raining for most of the morning with my big tarp providing the only dry place to make a brew and with enough room for the five of us plus seating for 2 (just :yikes:) on the hammock.

It was a little bit cool in the night (around 5 degrees) as I was only in cheap 2 season millits sleeping bag and the hammock was a bit tight for my slender frame but it was still both good fun and very practicle. It also taught me the importance of nylon string, it's cheap, strong and your not scared to use loads of peices of it to tie everything up (I love para cord but it's blooming expensive)

So for those of us that don't have the money for some of the more expensive kit don't feel left out just improvise.

*for slender read fat

MagiKelly

Hi Mark

Like you I have tried a cheap version first. it was one of those Brazillian Ebay jobs. I was fine and comfy untill the string separated from the nylon and down I went. I also have the net one but at 6 foot 3inches tall it is not the width that is the problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE