Hammock Choice Help Needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Deanno

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2010
Cardigan
Hi,I’m looking to buy a hammock to do a bit of bushcraft / camping / fishing, my friend in work has the DD Camping I am considering the DD brand but there are others on the market but I am thinking about the DD Explorer for it waterproof bottom,I have come across a company on eBay called TW Hammocks (Tenth Wonder hammocks)Here is a link:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390379370674?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649The only down side in my view is the aluminium poles needed for the mossi net.I have a rough Budget of around the £50 mark. And I’m ideally after:• New• Waterproof base for ground camping • Mossi net optional• Light and compactAny advice is good advice.Thank you in advanceDean

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I've got the DD travel/bivi hammock. It has the waterproof base which means you can go to ground as well as the double layer base where you can insert a foam mat/thermarest. It's £49 from their website (very slightly cheaper than their ebay shop)

It has the zipped in mozi net (similiar to the TW one), the only difference being the end of the net of the DD hammock are mesh rather than ripstop. I suppose this may give more visibility (dependent on hang) although less protection from drafts/rain when using a tarp. The DD one doesn't come with poles for the mozi net although I just use a couple of cut-down c/f tent poles to save me rooting about for a couple of sticks (plus they're light weight and less likely to damage the net)

It's the only modernish hammock I've tried so can't comment on any others (maybe there are ones out there I'd prefer. who knows). I previously used mesh style hammocks for years and the difference is incredible, especially the built in mozi net.

It's a piece of cake to set up, less than 10 minutes 1st time out of the bag now down to about 3-4 minutes (including tarp).

There's loads of information on the hammock forums on http://www.hammockforums.net/ although a lot of the members seem to be from the US so may refer to kit that isn't sold here.

Deanno

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2010
Cardigan
Thank you for the reply's.
NS40, i will take your advice and look at them both sofar the comments are fairly neutral which is good.
i was quite suprised as i thought most hammocks that are on ebay tend to be lets say cheap and cheerful.
The plus side i see in the TW Hammock is the ripstop ends preventing the draught as most of the time i will be camping on costal areas.

Thanks again
Dean

Deanno

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2010
Cardigan
Thank you all for your replys, i'ts always good to hear about a product before you buy.
I must say I thought I might get one reply but thank you for all your input it is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Dean

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
To under complicate things - It's nothing more than a bit of material tied between two trees and you 'try' to sleep in it for a few hours.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
The only thing to consider about the waterproof DD is that the material is not breathable, I've heard mixed things about it on here but it doesn't seem to be too much of a concern, depends if you sweat a lot durring the night you might wake up in a pool of water. I've been using a the DD hammock which does not have the waterproof base for about a year and it never really felt 'just right' if that makes sense I always felt there was something lacking with it but cannot quite put my finger on what. For the money they are excellent hammocks though and very well made.

I have just upgraded to a Hennessey Exlorer Deluxe (Zip model) and it is night and day compared to the DD albeit more that double the price.

It's also worth thinking about insulation as I am really no keen on the foam pads, they seem to make the hammock more unstable and I have never really felt warm until I got an underblanket and that makes a HUGE difference.

Hope this does not confuse you more but there are quite a lot of things to think about when buying a hammock, also the DD suspension is a bit rubbish, it's well worth doing the krab mod, doesn't cost much, is easy to do and makes setup a lot easier as you can follow the tutorial on this site.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have both a DD travel, and a tenth wonder hornet.

I prefer my tenth wonder. It ships with spreader bars for the mozi net, I don't get condensation issues and it's slightly bigger.

Deanno

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2010
Cardigan
could you tell me what the "Krab" Mod is please.Thanks again for all your help i hope others find this as usefull as i have.RegardsDean

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
could you tell me what the "Krab" Mod is please.Thanks again for all your help i hope others find this as usefull as i have.RegardsDean

When you get the hammock there is a channel in the fabric (Can't remember the right name for it) at both ends and the webbing runs through this channel, much like the pull cords on the hood of a jacket. Anyway with the webbing being attached this way it means that you have to wrap both ends round the tree and then tie them in a bow, this shortens the length of the webbing and also means that you are left with nothing to catch drips ip it rains.

The 'krab mod' introduces a carabiner (krab) to the hammock, you pull the webbing most of the way out until you can form a small loop at the end of the hammock, I tied mine in a double fishermans knot to make the loop and then cut off the excess webbing. This then allows you to connect the hammock to the webbing via the krab and means that you are only using one length of webbing as opposed to doubling it up so you can pick further apart trees. The krabs also act as drip rings provided they are covered by the tarp so you shouldn't get wet from the rain.

To put the hammock up you tie a double evenk hitch around the tree leaving the hammock loose, you then pull the webbing through the krabs at either end and tie a couple of slippery half hitches to the krab.

It's not as hard as I have made it sound. I can't get onto most websites just now as I am at work but if you google Natural Bushcraft and go to Ash's website there is a tutorial on the krab mod there and if you search for 'hammock and tarp turorial' on this site then it will come up, it's a sticky somewhere but I can't remember where. If you find these links you should be well on your way to sleeping in comfort :D

Deanno

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2010
Cardigan
do you find that the TW having a waterproof bottom makes you sweat more as it is not that breathable?The reson being is that i asked the ebay seller and they said it's semi-breathable?What are your views on this?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
do you find that the TW having a waterproof bottom makes you sweat more as it is not that breathable?The reson being is that i asked the ebay seller and they said it's semi-breathable?What are your views on this?

It's more breathable thsn the DD travel, but less than the DD frontline. I've had condensation issues in the Dd travel but none in the TW hornet.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Dd have half price hammock and tarp seconds on their site as we speak....

Just picked up a tarp xl and a frontline hammock for less than the full price of a frontline.....

Marked as minor seconds, perfectly serviceable

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE