Hammock camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I dont like the dome like mosquito net....

Hmm...that's rather the point of the net - to keep it away from you so the insects can't bite you. If it's laying on top of you then the insects could, in theory, stick their noses/bums/whatever they use through the netting to make your life uncomfortable. The raised netting not only keeps them away from you but it also gives you space to do things.
The most visually bulky thing will be the tarp anyway. And that's got to be the case no matter what you're doing, surely?

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Hmm...that's rather the point of the net - to keep it away from you so the insects can't bite you. If it's laying on top of you then the insects could, in theory, stick their noses/bums/whatever they use through the netting to make your life uncomfortable. The raised netting not only keeps them away from you but it also gives you space to do things.
The most visually bulky thing will be the tarp anyway. And that's got to be the case no matter what you're doing, surely?

Yes of course , but I could just tie it on the top of the ridgeline

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hammocking has to be bulkier than bivvying.

Bivvying = mat + tarp + sleeping bag.
Hammocking = mat (or underquilt) + tarp + sleeping bag + hammock + suspension system.
Hammocking = Bivvying + hammock + suspension system.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
No, I don't think so.
I have tented, I have bivvied on the ground, and I have hammocked (which, incidentally, is always my first choice. Because I enjoy it more than the other options).

Tenting can be the heavier and bulkier option, depending on your kit.
Being a ground hugger is the lighter and less bulky option of all.
Hammocking is bulkier than being on the ground by a long shot.

I know the above to be true because I have done all three! There is no myth. It is simple, experiential, fact.
You will also note that I have concentrated on bulk rather than weight. I'd guess there's not much in the weight difference, but my instincts tell me camping is heavier, then hammocking, and being on the ground the lightest. I could be wrong in that, but I don't care because I can't see there being much in it. Personally I'm more interested in bulk than weight (though the two often go hand-in-hand).

Yep, i do think so. I did specifically say tenting....where it seems we agree :D

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Hammocking has to be bulkier than bivvying.

Bivvying = mat + tarp + sleeping bag.
Hammocking = mat (or underquilt) + tarp + sleeping bag + hammock + suspension system.
Hammocking = Bivvying + hammock + suspension system.

I would add a bivvy bag to the bivvying option, and note that on the hammock suspension point, whoopie slings and tree straps are pretty much inconsequential in terms of bulk and weight :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
A sub 200g hammock including suspension is not unusual
my current main user is 240g with the tarp at 300g.....and they arent even trying to be the lightest around

bivvy will always be the very lightest option but its academic unless you are a dedicated extreme ultralight backpacker

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I would add a bivvy bag to the bivvying option, and note that on the hammock suspension point, whoopie slings and tree straps are pretty much inconsequential in terms of bulk and weight :)

I would add waking up covered in slugs to the bivi option.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
DD Frontline or DD Travel both get my vote and I have both. ( When Kim and I hang normally its pot luck which one we get.)
For me I like the idea of the bug net fixed to the hammock and it lifts well clear in use as well as providing an internal hanger for a light or such.
What with the group buy on..... its a no brainer
P.S. if you can afford it, go for the 4m by 4m tarp. The extra usable space underneath is fantastic.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
No pocket for a CCF mat means it is a fail for me! Even in summer I use a CCF mat. It is as much a part of the set up as the hanging straps.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
It says it's 3meters -10ft so that is 30 cm bigger than the dd , plus the price is so low , what do you guys think , should I go for it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
So guys as it gets warmer and as I'll be able to buy it I want to buy a hammock , what would you recommend? I have never slept in a hammock and I want to buy as cheap as possible but without losing the quality! I'm thinking of eno or dd if dd then which one ? I'm 1.92 in height and weight 106kg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you buy one, try to sleep in one ( homemade one) and see how you like it.
Some people including me gets an ache in the back after 10 minutes, from the weird sleeping position.

Make one as instructed further down this thread.

Hammocks are increasing the weight and bulk you carry too.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
CCF mat as post 33. Sometimes called a roll mat. It is a NON blow up mat, which has a smooth surface but a set foam inside. Even if a nail was driven in the cells are good so the foam cells are said to be closed.
It is, for me, an absolute requirement, otherwise my back and bottom get too cold. By all means for a gentle warm summer afternoon, 2 hours in a hammock is bliss. Even during a summer night, without one the heat just bleeds away. Any sign of a bit of chill in the air and that mat is the only thing between me and death..... ok bit over the top!

If you sleep IN your sleeping bag your weight will crush even a 4 season bag to a slice of paper, no use at all. Fitted in a designed double skin the CCF mat does not crush and gives a layer of insulation. Some folk also make use of an underquilt which hangs loose but very close to the bottom of a hammock, an external cocoon if you will. Yes you can put the mat inside the hammock with you but it is really no replacement or a double skin.

So for me, some thing close to my skin first. I just can not sleep in a hammock with just shorts and tee shirt. Long sleeved tee shirt and thin jogging bottoms, a flease sleeping bag liner, but something.
Next is the CCF mat and then I have my sleeping bag opened as a quilt. I have a mummy bag which does not unzip all the way. This means it leaves a wonderful pocket at the bottom that my bare feet go into. It also means the bag is held in place so I can then pull it up to my shoulders no problem. Tuck / pat the bag in down my sides, re adjust it to my shoulders, begin to remember the best bits of the day just gone...... let the snoring commence.

Sorry seemed to go off on one there but a single skin hammock is as much use as a single skin tent. They do work BUT...........no.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE