Hammock Advice..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shnoop

Aug 29, 2013
Larkhall, Scotland
Hey guys been looking at buying a hammock, but not really want too spend too much on first one. Just incase I don't like it. I have narrowed It down too the Nomad and tarp, which comes with hanging kit for £49.99, or the DD frontline which also comes with Hanging Kit for £49.99 but will have too buy a tarp separate...what would you guys go for? Also does anyone know anywhere in Scotland that sells these.. Besides the Leith Army Store in Edinburgh?

Wully

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
All seems a little pricey to me. Here's the outfit I will take next weekend:
10' basic hammock $15 - no suspension
1 set 2 polyester tiedown straps, each 16' $8 (makes two tree hugger plus suspension lines)
4 SMC descender rings (abseiling rings) @3.25 = $13
Tarp made from window secondary insulation film (polycryo) $8 plus some Gorilla tape for tie-outs
CCF pad for under insulation $8
$52 for complete kit - which weighs less than 2 lbs (1 kilo) and fits in a tiny stuff sack.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Here's the annoying truth... most of the cheaper setups will compromise on quality or size to fit the budget and you will be less likely to have the best hammock experience. Not to say you won't like it or that there aren't bargains out there but just have in the back of your mind you are in a cheap rig when you make your judgement.

Of the low-cost options, I would go for either DD or TW hammocks.

Shnoop

Aug 29, 2013
Larkhall, Scotland
The bug net is important due too the Scottish midges!! Been looking at TW hammocks, and I think that's what I'm going too go for, I can get most of the stuff I need for hanging it lying around work so just a tarp too get!

Wully

Davedon

Apr 24, 2012
Selkirk
I have got both a DD travel hammock and TW hornet, I get a much better sleep in the DD.
DD hammocks are based in Edinburgh.

Cheers
Dave

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have got both a DD travel hammock and TW hornet, I get a much better sleep in the DD.
DD hammocks are based in Edinburgh.

Cheers
Dave

Odd the DD is a little bit smaller (or was, havent checked lately). I'm the reverse.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Davedon

Apr 24, 2012
Selkirk
Odd the DD is a little bit smaller (or was, havent checked lately). I'm the reverse.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

The TW is .4m wider but I find I can stretch out more in the DD could be somthing to do with my 20 stone bulk

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I have a DD Frontline hammock and its great. I use it with their 3x3 tarp in diamond configuration.

Dont cut corners with your suspension! Test it out first before going off into the wild. Avoid nylon for tree straps and suspension cords because it stretches way to much. Paracord, even the proper 550 stuff, is no good for this reason.

Take care to stop rainwater running down your suspension into your hammock. A good way to do this is to use climbing rated carabiners at each end of your hammock, cutting the existing suspension into a short loop. The water will drip off the bottom of the carabiner and cannot reach your hammock.

To hang my bug net I run short cords from the suspension points of my tarp, these come in under the cover of the tarp and end in mini-carabiners. I run elastic cord from the bug net up to the these. Again, the carabiners act as a drip stops.

Shnoop

Aug 29, 2013
Larkhall, Scotland
Just a wee update folks, I ended up buying the DD Frontline with 3x3 Tarp so going to head out tomorrow night either on the Avon or Clyde and try it out while doing a wee bit fishing. Cheers Guys

Wully

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE