Halp/Advice requested from cobb oven owners please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have now tried - and failed twice - to roast a chicken in a recently purchased Cobb Oven. On both occasions, the briquettes had lost sufficient heat after a couple of hours such that the chicken just wouldn't get finished off.

Unless I can up my skill level with this soon, I am not going to be popular with the immediate family.

So, any advice would be very welcome - particularly on any successful, simple, non-chicken recipes.

Advice on getting the bloody briquettes lit properly in the first place would also be helpful.

Everything I've read - and also Youtube videos watched - really look straightforward - and not just the semi-official marketing ones, but I need to prove that my purchase has been a sound one - soon!

Any help/advice/guidance will be much appreciated.

Best Wishes
David

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
How big is your chicken? A small one is advised. How many briquettes do you use. I can generally get 2.5 hours out of mine with 9 briquettes. But you can add more briquettes part way through if needed. (but you need to be quick not to lose the heat in the dome. Cobblestones will last even longer. Don't lift the lid often you lose all the heat.

If you're having real trouble get your butcher to spatchcock the bird.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have now tried - and failed twice - to roast a chicken in a recently purchased Cobb Oven. On both occasions, the briquettes had lost sufficient heat after a couple of hours such that the chicken just wouldn't get finished off.

Are you topping up with new briquetes as you go along? If not that's more than likely your problem.

Whenever I cook a chicken or roast in my bbq I always add to the existing coals every 30-40 minutes to help maintain an even temperature. To light them I use a seperate charcoal chimney lighter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE