Ordered the fruit trees and plants for a edible hedge, in plenty of time for once.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
To be delivered between the 10th and 15th of November we just ordered a mix of these

Allington Pippin apple (group 3)
James Grieve apple (group 3)
Cherry plum (edible hedge pack)
Hazel (edible hedge pack)
Crabapple (edible hedge pack)
Blackberry (edible hedge pack)
Wild Pear or Damson (edible hedge pack)
Tayberries Buckingham
Gooseberries Captivator
Raspberries Joan J

So before then we have to do the weeding, prep the ground and fix the weed suppression material in place. Ill be putting in cross trees with wires to train them along, will have to look up the best spacing come to think of it. I think we've ordered slightly more than we need for the hedge, the apples will be planted elsewhere so what Evers left we will fill any gaps in the hawthorn we planted the last two winters. We'll stick bark chippings onto of the suppression cloth stuff to pretty it up some.

Atb

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
James Grieve are a lovely apple Tom - we have one. Took about three years to vome into fruit, but its belting along now :). Not a great keeper, but can cook, eat, juice or cider - so plenty of uses.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here's were we got them from

http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/hedging-plants-trees-shrubs-bareroot/hedging-packs/edible-hedging

We had very good service from them for the hawthorn we ordered last year and the one before.

Good to her the apples a good one, realistically we can't fit in more thn two and leave enough open space to grow the cereals etc etc will get cuttings of other fruit bushes when we visit mates and family. I'm planning on having a patch of rhubarb as well once we get the place fettled.

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll give you rhubarb and elder trees if you are passing Tom :). I've used Ashridge several times. The trees and hedging are very good - although I have had spotty delivery once or twice. I still use them though!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
No sloes or elder? :(

I have a James Grieve apple in the garden, it's the first to fruit of my trees, both in terms of each year, and age of the tree. It's keeping qualities are appalling, currently they are lucky if they last about 3 feet...

I have a hazel tree in my garden, but it's not yet shown any indication of wanting to produce fruit, I don't know at what age they start fruiting.

Sounds like an interesting project, can you keep us posted with pictures please?

Julia

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I have an ornamental curly hazel in my front garden that produces some nuts, it was about 10 years before it did though. It's also self-seeded and the new plants don't come curly so I have several good looking staves ready to cut and process.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure I would want blackthorn in a tight area. It really does sucker. Okay if you mow it off, but not otherwise, no.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE