Hadza to be evicted?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Anthropologist Christopher O'Brien's blog on the topic:
http://northstatescience.blogspot.com/2007/06/hadza-tribal-lands-being-confiscated-by.html

Admittedly I doubt I'd have heard of them had it not been for watching Ray Mears'
programme about one of his visits with them - it was really quite an enchanting
episode (Bushcraft survival, series 1 - the dark green one).

I'm sure there are many good reasons to resettle people but to be ousted for
someone else's convenience, if that's how it actually is*, seems repulsive.

Presumably there's really not an awful lot I can do about this?

*Surely someone's going to come along and say it's all been a big mistake...

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Shooting aint Halhal either. There is something in the Quaran about respecting animals - hence the need to cut the neck in 1 clear deadly cut (much more humane in its day that the usually bludgeoning with axe/hammer has happened in Europe back then)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Fin, hunting is already permitted in Tanzania, in fact the majority of the Selous National Park is hunting area with tourists lodges only permitted in the north of the park. The problem being that as you said there needs to be strict control of this hunting and that seems to be missing in Tanzania.

As far as I'm aware the same UAE company (called OBC) have had a hunting concession in the Loliondo Game Control Area (bordering the north east Serengeti) for a large number of years with very little coverage in the press outside of Tanzania.

Alternatively the other route is tourism, which I'm happy to say seems to be where the Hadza are fighting back. There are a number of tour operators doing safaris in the area with many of them incorporating a few days spent with the Hadza in their itineraries.

You've got to remember that the rift valley and the Ngorongoro area (which borders Lake Eyasi where the 400 Hadza in the article live) isn't that remote (despite what that original article made out - 4 days travelling? ...... he must have been flying in circles) and is relatively well populated and is only just off the “northern circuit” Tanzanian safari route. As far as I recall there are about 2,000 Hadza living in the area as a whole.

Don't get me wrong. This way of life has a right to be preserved and Tanzanian Government has a responsibility to do this. They have to work with the Hadza and to the Hadza's interest, not just shift them off their land or over ruling them (as happened to the Masai in Loliondo) to get cash quick.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I hope no-one on this forum is going to do anything that would affect hamdan and mohammed bin zayed (lack of capitol letters intentional), as they might wake up dead the next day. Not that I'm being stereotypical or anything but to me, the words ' wealthy, oil, arab princes', etc, are usually accompaniod by the words 'danger, murder, death, barge pole' etc.
But seriously, I think everyone should do what they can think of to make this deal less likely. I'm definately not suggesting we should all rush out and chain ourselves to the hadza, or go and buy a sniper rifle, two bullets and a ticket to the UAE, but things like spreading this story around the web, or starting petitions where you live.
Not that it would make any difference...
Maybe the sniper rifle is not such a bad idea.:joke:
please don't take that seriously!!

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
They have to work with the Hadza and to the Hadza's interest, not just shift them off their land or over ruling them (as happened to the Masai in Loliondo) to get cash quick.

Thats the scary bit, Governments are supposed to work for the people but seem to think its the other way round.

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Who do UAE sell their oil to? Who processes the stuff, what pumps does it come out of?
If we find this out we bouycot them and make the reason known to others via the net. The environmental movement will pick it up as will a thousand interested others. The UAE will force them to back peddle, so we vote with our feet, they want to evict native peoles, whe chose not to purchase UAE oil and oil based products.

Job done:morpheus: :cussing:

Fin, hunting is already permitted in Tanzania, in fact the majority of the Selous National Park is hunting area with tourists lodges only permitted in the north of the park. The problem being that as you said there needs to be strict control of this hunting and that seems to be missing in Tanzania.

As far as I'm aware the same UAE company (called OBC) have had a hunting concession in the Loliondo Game Control Area (bordering the north east Serengeti) for a large number of years with very little coverage in the press outside of Tanzania.

Alternatively the other route is tourism, which I'm happy to say seems to be where the Hadza are fighting back. There are a number of tour operators doing safaris in the area with many of them incorporating a few days spent with the Hadza in their itineraries.

You've got to remember that the rift valley and the Ngorongoro area (which borders Lake Eyasi where the 400 Hadza in the article live) isn't that remote (despite what that original article made out - 4 days travelling? ...... he must have been flying in circles) and is relatively well populated and is only just off the “northern circuit” Tanzanian safari route. As far as I recall there are about 2,000 Hadza living in the area as a whole.

Don't get me wrong. This way of life has a right to be preserved and Tanzanian Government has a responsibility to do this. They have to work with the Hadza and to the Hadza's interest, not just shift them off their land or over ruling them (as happened to the Masai in Loliondo) to get cash quick.

Beer Monster,Thanks for the detailed info on Tanzania (I know Kenya, Zimbabwe and SA pretty well). I agree with you re: the Tanzanian governments responsibilities in safeguarding a population's way of life - but tourism? Hmmm! That would have to be done very carefully.

How long before the Hadza realise that they are, intrinsically, generating money? How long, after that do they start demanding their share of the spoils (no need to manufacture tools now - we can buy them. And then there's the delights of alcohol!) the history of aborigonal cultures is littered with this from the Pygmies in West/ Central to the San in the South.

If we wish to preserve these cultures then the money needs to be seen to be generated by indirect means. Sustainable hunting is only one suggestion - tourism? yes, ok but very carefully controlled - I would keep the tourist well away from the Hadza because as soon as you turn their culture into a theme park - then you destroy it.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
The Hadza people feature in RM's "Africa Camp" at 9am tomorrow morning on 'Dave',
Freeview #19. You might have to retune your box.

Sunday 21 October
9.00am - 10.00am
Dave
Africa camp
Ray Mears explores the world of bushcraft, the art of living outdoors relying on a
knowledge of the natural world. This edition finds him in the company of true hunter
gatherers, the Hadza of Tanzania. Their way of life demonstrates a profound connection
to the natural world and the mutual respect between Ray and the Hadza is clearly
shown in this programme.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
all i can say is i hope\there slice of the oil runs out first, they will probably use the land a few times and get bored of it.
governments are not for us, never have been never will be.
if the tanzanian government is that short sighted to play prostitute to these gold spooned idiots, all i can say is in there case there mommas must of raised fools.
Im going to write to the tanzanian embassy saying as much too.
Wont do any good, but its all i have to help.
I dont know if rays aware of this, sure hed try and campaign against it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE