Hadza to be evicted?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I don't need to ask what people think of this; you'll all be depressed by it, I'm sure. Take a look.

This is the key bit:

"To the dismay of anthropologists and champions of the Earth's remaining tribal people, two wealthy Arab princes, who have made billions from oil and gas in the United Arab Emirates, are negotiating with the Tanzanian government to buy the Hadzabe's ancient lands to use as their own private hunting grounds.
To them, it's just another commercial deal — and a chance to kill wild animals. But to the Stone Age tribesmen, it would spell the end. In return for the dubious pleasure of shooting lion, leopard, buffalo and elephant, Crown Prince Hamdan bin Zayed (the UAE's deputy prime minister) and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed (deputy supreme commander of the air force) want the Hadza evicted from the area to prevent them competing for game."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=469847&in_page_id=1770

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
*** :cussing: :rant: :aargh4: :censored:

What makes it worse is that game is already very scarce even for the Hadza, so its like they are trying to get them evicted for no reason :cussing: :( :rant:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
"We want them to go to school," said Marmo, who is Tanzania's minister for good governance and represents the valley in parliament. "We want them to wear clothes. We want them to be decent."

People never learn do they?

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Read it in the mail today rich arabs using the world as their playground with no regards to cultures thats what its all about today money, life is of no consequence to the ruling elite

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
How much space do these Princes want? What right have they ? MONEY!! Let the hunter gatherers rot so some rich kid oil barrens can have there hunting pleasure with wild animals ,makes them men i suppose . How about the Hadza hunting them to extinction? Sorry..............
if i upset people with my comments thats me. It disgusts me the way man can act to a precious lifestyle such as the Hadza.
Lets hope some sense can be made of this venture for all parties concerned.
Regards
Darren

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
The thing is that it's not just airy-fairy liberals that should want to save these people. In an age when we're trying to reduce our impact on the environment, these people are the only zero-emission society in the world. What's more, they have (almost) none of the social ills that plague our own societies, let alone the sort of african shanty town that their government wants to move them into.

It's reminiscent of native americans being moved off the reservations so they could be developed. These people's land is valued more than they are.

This sounds like the Tanzanian government being blinded into a short term, get rich quick solution, by oil money.

One solution could be the granting of hunting licences to Tanzanian - or even foreign companies. Before I get howled down - it is being done, successfully, in other parts of Africa and works under a few basic principles:

1) Conservation is a first world luxury (telling a Masai tribesman that he can't graze his cattle in a particular area because the Wildebeest need it - doesn't wash).

2) African countries have as much right to exploit their natural resources, for - yes - money!, as we do.

3) Certain rich individuals, or organisations, will pay big money to hunt "trophy" animals.

4) Wildlife in general has to pay it's way in the modern world, just like anything else (obscene but true).

So...the solution?

5) A professional hunting company is granted a license to hunt x number of animals in the Hadza area.

6) "Trophy" species and the numbers allowed to be taken are agreed in advance. This would include a total ban on species hunted by the Hazda for food (unlikely to include normal trophy species like the big cats, buffalo or elephant).

7) The environment as it is must be maintained which would include no outside contact with the Hadza. This will be monitored and regulated by an independant, conservation body. The licence will be, immediately, withdrawn should any of the above be met.

What happens?

8) The licenced company has a vested, long term interest in maintaining the hunting concession - it's environment and the health of all populations within it.

9) For example, a male lion may be shot by an Arab that has paid $50,000 for the "priviledge" - The professional hunter who set up the shoot knew that that lion was ousted from the pride a year ago and probably only had another year to live - but he had fathered 23 cubs who survived to adulthood, in his lifetime.

10) The government gets half the fee and so is content to maintain this arrangement - it is being paid to conserve.

Unfortunately this requires long term political thinking and the sad history of African, independant politics is one of Swiss bank accounts, democracy = 1 man, 1 vote, 1 time! and stuff the rest!

Sorry to bang on but philaw started a geo-political thread and that normally gets me going!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE