had a go on the pole lathe. now need help!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Well I had a go on a pole lathe at a scout camp last week, and loved it! (I was rubbish though)

Would like to build my own but do not know where to start, anyone on here got plans/info etc

Similarly info on a shave horse would be good!

Regards

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I saw one of these demo'd at the Herts show, absolutely fantastic so thanks for the link.

I remember the chap doing the demo said it was predominately used for chair legs table legs and those bits at the back of the chair (cannot remember the proper name). Apparently, one way to tell antique furniture made with a pole lathe is that the legs or whatever aren't round, they're slightly oval instead due to the use of green wood and the subsequent distortion in shape that the drying process causes.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have some PDF plans for both a pole lathe and also a shaving horse that anyone on here is welcome to as long as they PM me their e-mail addy so I can post it as an attachment.

Now I personally have not made either of these two items but was looking for PDF woodwork plans a while ago and just kind of hoovered them up into my computer for later use.
Regards Scott.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What sort of things can be turned on a pole lathe?
Mike Abbot's book "Green Woodwork" is a good basic introduction to building a pole lathe and simple things you can make on it. Most people start with 'spindle turning'; that's making long, thin things like spirtles, baseball bats and chair legs, because it is relatively straight forwards and you can easily get the tools. When you get a bit better you can make yourself a proper lathe and turn bowls ;)
maoutside.jpg
mainside.jpg
mainside2.jpg
mainside3.jpg

or you can see Robin turning here
Nicola

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I made one once with the guide on the bodgers site, its pretty easy to do Pignut. It said to use hardwood, but I made mine with old bits of 4x2 softwood I had lying around. Ok it won't last as long, but it worked a treat to get me going and it didn't cost me much money to make, if any..

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
mike abbottsd book l;iving wood is good, there are loads of publications that are good on it, but i like that one. Tim Gatfield at the cherry wood project runs courses in how to make them, he comes highly reccommended from me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE