Had a bad night

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
The dog woke up at half past 3 howling and he had diarhoea.:( Again at six and every halfhour after that, meaning I had to get dressed every time and walk him to the field.
Anybody ever had this happen? I hope it just goes away by itself he's not keen on going to the vet:bluThinki

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Yes... but not with the dog, and I didn't have to get dressed to walk the 3 year old to the field :) - sorry not much help.

But I seem to remember being told by a vet that chicken and rice are meant to calm a dogs stomach, small portions mind.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
He's probably eaten something nasty he's found.

My Jack Russell had a bad stomach for about a fortnight (normally she has a cast iron stomach), and I fed her Sainsburys Basics white fish fillets and the vet recommended Canin Gastro Intestinal mixer. Also finely chopped chicken for a change now and then. I was too quick to re-introduce her old diet and she relapsed a couple of times so watch out for that.

Make sure his water bowl is full, especially if using the easy to digest dried foods.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks guys, no not pink and not really clear watery either. Just brown liquid. He just ate his normal food (hard meat/rice/otherstuff chunks) and his appetite was fine.
He's been really sleepy all day but that's normal after being awake most of the night.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I am sure he will be fine just keep an eye on him, both ends and make sure he has plenty of liquid. Daft things they are and will eat all sorts.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
To tell the truth, I'd give him access to lots of water, but feed him nothing for 24 hours. After that, if symptoms persist, go to the vet. At the end of the 24hrs, if he's seeming OK, then just dry food, and keep it dry for a few days. Nothing else but good quality dry dog food. (Worked for my pair of little scoffing maniacs). Hope all goes well.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If the dog's Ok & he is his usual self there's nothing to worry about, all dogs get a dose of the runs from time to time. Just don't feed him today & things should return to normal tommorrow. If things don't clear up & you see that he's a little lethargic better get him to the vets.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
To tell the truth, I'd give him access to lots of water, but feed him nothing for 24 hours. After that, if symptoms persist, go to the vet. At the end of the 24hrs, if he's seeming OK, then just dry food, and keep it dry for a few days. Nothing else but good quality dry dog food. (Worked for my pair of little scoffing maniacs). Hope all goes well.

I used to be a veterinary nurse. This is good advice. Plain boiled rice and some chicken are also ok once you start reintroducing food.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Wouldn't not giving him food cause the diarhoea to last even longer, due to the stopping of his digestive system, and thus the disposing of the harmful bacteria?
I haven't given him his dinner yet but he's hungry he's walked a fair distance this afternoon are you sure I shouldn't give him anything?:confused:

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Our dog had this yesterday morning, then mid afternoon, took her out at tea time and then again at 9pm. I didn't feed her last night and half her normal amount of dry food at breakfast. Touch wood, she has been ok today.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Ours threw up all over the carpet today but she seems fine now. Whenever mine go onto rice and chicken they eat it like it's going out of fashion

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Stopping feeding ensures that digestive system is essentiall flushed clean, removing whatever is causing the problem. So long as you give plenty of water there are no ill effects. After 24 hours you introduce bland food into the diet, initially in small portions. If this goes without further problems, normal feeding resumes after another 24-48hrs.

However, if symptoms persist when feeding is reintroduced, or the animal continues to look ill or distressed, take them to a vet for a proper assessment.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
That's what we do with ours...24 hour of nothing but water, then plain boiled rice for the first meal. Second meal, boiled rice and chicken. If all is well after that, then normal food is reintroduced.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE