Hacksaw mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have made a couple of these in the past...without the gut hook...I prefer a longer handle whipped in paracord for comfort and I also used to grind off the saw teeth as they were pretty useless for my needs.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I will be good, I promise! Watched to many Ninja films recently has effected my brain.

Really like that idea!

Shame you cannot get the 1" ones anymore. Then you could have a back up knife, stored somewhere.

Found some.... Interesting.

Last edited:

pwb

That's a great idea :).
I made this wee folding saw out of an old HS blade , very like this one sold by County Comm, and keep it in my tool box.

DSC02726Small.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
that looks pretty cool pubb - I carry a tops survival saw myself - similar idea just a little larger

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
And with carbide steel drill bit you could add a second hole to its handle,making it easy to put some tiny micarta handles...hmm....

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Be wary of cheapo blades they are very brittle I know I used to sell them!!!
Spend a few bob on a draper or the like
d

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Just a thought, how about a reciprocating saw blade?
I use them for work. They have a hole and the bimetal blades are super flexible.
The lennox and bosch blades are excellent and the wood blades are very sharp and last well.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi don't forget as stated in County Comm link the blade wants to have the teeth facing you so as to cut on the pull, then is self tensioning
cheers Danny

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Just a thought, how about a reciprocating saw blade?
I use them for work. They have a hole and the bimetal blades are super flexible.
The lennox and bosch blades are excellent and the wood blades are very sharp and last well.

Wondered about them myself.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i had better get some hacksaw blades then lol! i have those little junior hacksaw blades... bit too small i suppose.. there's a blunt one sitting in the kitchen actually... hmmm..

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
the old one was too rusty, so i used a new one :D took a while to sharpen but the edge can almost shave now.

i think ill "borrow" some old hacksaw blades from school and make a bigger one.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Anyone made a knife usin an old power hacksaw blade? Heard of it being done and fancy making a little carving knife. I don't have a grinder, but i've got plenty of files. Would this be a managable project? And could I get away without heat treating it?
Cheers

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
Anyone made a knife usin an old power hacksaw blade? Head of it being done and fancy making a little carving knife. I don't have a grinder, but i've got plenty of files. Would this be a managable project? And could I get away without heat treating it?
Cheers

there already HTed so should be all right.
i made another one but i think this blade was cheap because it snapped a couple of times and still wont take a decent edge.
i best get a more pricey one to try...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE