Hacking up a deodorant can ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asbo

Aug 30, 2010
Fareham, Hampshire, UK
I know a way that i have seen some people at school do with deodorant cans is by taking the top of it and then bashing the valve part on to something hard so it sorta pops it into the tin it self then though it on the floor (outside) then let the pressure escape But that how ill do it fastest

DV...

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2010
East of England
I emptied the contents of a lynx can by pressing the nozzle until it was empty then cut the top off with a junior hacksaw. No drama or bangs :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers for that guys, all sorted now

Just got all the gas out and then bopped the nozzle back inside with a hammer :)

No dramas and no shrapnel, sorry guys :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This is what I've knocked up tonight then ...

DSC02313.jpg

DSC02314.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

I'm going to give it a quick spray with some stove paint and call it a Blackbox :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Ace!!!

what u using on it Rich? a lil billie?

i also notice you use the "sensual" variety?!

do you find it gives you the dryness and protection you need on "those special days"??

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
ive made a few of these stoves from budweiser bottles and i think the best thing to cut them with (after its empty) is an old bread knife.....i did mean aluminium bottles

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wow I'm looking forward to pictures of cutting a bottle with a breadknife!

Nice job Shewie, I was waiting for your logon to become "Stumpy" :)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Wow I'm looking forward to pictures of cutting a bottle with a breadknife!

Nice job Shewie, I was waiting for your logon to become "Stumpy" :)

the american bud bottles are made from alooooominum! lol...

they look rather expensive too to be putting beer in,....

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
when i said an old bread knife i use it on aluminium cans because it works like a hacksaw with very fine teeth which ive found cuts rather than rips the cans/bottles. all the stoves i have swopped at the meets with andy2112, tinky pete and johnathon d ( who did a great review of one of my stoves ) have been cut with an old bread knife.......i am hoping to find a new source for the budweiser bottle soon, ive run out, so i am interested if theres anyone out there with a better method ?.......what do you use to make this type of stove british red and raikey ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the deodorant bottles are great for stoves, they're probably not far off the same gauge ally as the bud bottles.

I start mine off by scoring round a couple of times and then set to with a junior hacksaw, it literally takes two minutes now. It doesn't work so great with normal 330ml pop/beer cans though, they seem to need plenty of scoring and then they just fall apart.

I've got the one above sprayed up now so I'll put some more pics up later.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Do you just pour your meths into it and light Rich? Are you tempted to bung a bit of fibreglass insulation in in case of spills? I've got a bit of Ali mesh you could cut and drop on top of the insulation if you want to go down that road. Looks like a nice little burner. I got obsessed making similar a few years back. Might have another go at it after seeing that...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah that's pretty much it so far, early days yet though :)

I was looking at some fibreglass wick to use but I've not bought any yet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE