Høvik verk stove

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Not exactly a new stove as the company went out of business in 1934, but I got my hands on it this summer.
The stove runs on kerosene and mustbe pre-heated with alcohol to work.
Same as the Optimus 111 Hiker and other stoves.
It had been a while since it was last used, and I had to set the pump piston in some oil overnight since the gasket had dried up. The stove had previously been repaired but this repair seemed to do the trick. No fuel leaks when pumping air in the fuel tank.

f16f75d8.jpg
f16f75a3.jpg

The stove takes 1 liter of fuel, and as you can see it lacks a wheel for flame adjustment. Instead it has a little screw to let out pressure from the fueltank, this works good enough.
The testfire was a success. After 4 minutes of pre-heating I pumped pressure in the fuel tank and it started burning with a nice blue flame.
f16f7607.jpg

I tried it in my lavvu (A Venor Standard, 4-6 men size, made in Kautokeino) and after 15 minutes it was 18 degrees Celsius half a meter from the "floor". The outside temperature was -0,3 degrees Celsius. I had the "top hat" on the lavvu.
This is definately my new tent stove.

I also have a smaller version of this stove. More of a camping version. It can be dismanteled and the parts put in a small tin box.
I found it in the mountains under some rocks when I was a kid. The effect of the new one is however much greater.

Tor

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
wow not seen one of those for ages first ever stove i used when camping. My grandfather had the optimus but i couldn't find it the last time i had a dig round in his garage. good to see one again

thanks James

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
That's very interesting, Tor. And good to see it burning so brightly after sitting idle for so long.

I quite fancy one of those :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Wow great,
I've got a large 1 litre (I think) and a small (maybe quater litre) one that dismantles into a red tin. I used to use it a lot on bike rallies - the blokes with camping gas would get into such a faff about getting a brew on, and I'd use just one tank of Kero for a whole weekend, innumerous brews of tea and all my hot food were done on it.
They really are great stoves.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE