Gutted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joenineo

Jun 4, 2011
cheshire
Went for a walk on Sunday around the north end of the peak district around Kettleshulme and somehow managed to lose my 'red' mora eldris along the way. Gutted. I know its not an expensive knife per-se, but I really hate losing stuff - especially when I should have clipped it to my pack using the lanyard I made for it, rather than simply sticking it into the mesh pocket on the back. Chump.

20:20 .... Lesson learnt.

Now need to suck it up and replace it. C'est la vie I guess.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Last year (yup, that long ago) I lost an inflatable pillow.
It was nothing special, couldn't have cost more than a couple of quid. But it was just the right size and never leaked and I'd rested my head on it many times in the hammock.

However, a couple of weeks ago I was in a regular spot and what do I see - my old inflatable pillow!
It was sun bleached and a bit manky. I picked it up and took it with me, thinking I'd give it a clean. But the valve was open, and looked pretty bad, and who knows what had crawled in it over the last 12 months.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Took my brother in law out in my double touring kayak; he caught a crab, turned us over. We were only in 2ft of water so no harm done except my Swiss Champ had dropped out of my pocket never to be seen again. I never keep a SAK in my pocket now without it being clipped to my belt.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I had a big and cheap 8" clone of a Bowie knife. Stirred soup, pounded tent pegs, did it all. End of a hunt, took it off my belt, rested in on the roof of my Chev 4x4. By then, that knife had been around the world twice with me. Got in and drove away.
The end.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Not so bushcrafty, but many years ago the place we were at was caught in a storm, it brought down a wall on one road and a massive tree on the other..we were trapped.

It was our anniversary so I ordered a Chinese meal (romantic eh..), asked them to deliver it to the junction and I'd run across the field and get it... somewhere somehow, car keys fell out my pocket and I hadn't noticed (and didn't for a few days as we were trapped anyway). Once I did I paced up and down the field...no luck.

Anyway, few hundred £ later and new keys and lesson learned...

A year or so later walking around the (countryside) "block", looked into the field and saw a glint... lo and behold, there were the blooming keys! By this point the immobiliser wasn't linked to the car and all that, but they worked as door unlocking keys...

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
After my wife died I wore her wedding ring. The ring was too small for my ring fingers and a loose fit on my little finger.
One day I was demolishing an old shed in the garden prior to selling the house, so I ordered a small rubbish skip and loaded the contents of the shed, old rolls of Roofing Felt, Tins of paint, Roofing Bitumastic, old gardening tools etc: into the skip.
Job finished and I went inside to clean up...the ring was missing!!

That was midweek, and the skip was to be collected on Saturday morning. I spent the next two days searching, unloading the skip into the front garden, crawling on hands and knees across the lawn between the house and where the shed had stood, only stopping when it got too dark to see properly.
Desperation is probably the best description, but to no avail. A very difficult two days...

On the Saturday morning I watched the lorry Driver swing the skip aboard the Skip Lorry and climb into the cab and slowly start to drive away. As he did so I saw something glinting on a 5 gallon Bitumastic tin...I ran after the lorry and banged on the Driver's door, he stopped and looked at me as if I was mad when I said I wanted to get up into the skip. Luckily we were still in the quiet Cul-De Sac where I lived, so I got up into the skip and there, stuck into some Bitumastic which had run down the side of the tin and under the bottom rim, embedded in the sticky black tar was the ring.
I can only think that while moving stuff around as I cleared the shed I had put the tin down on the ring after it had fallen from my finger and it had got trapped in the Bitumastic under the rim of the tin.

True story, the ring now lives in a box at home with other items of value.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I have a Bark River mini Canadian somewhere I use it for teaching Deer butchery.
I decided before the Pandemic I’d like another. Ouch I said for that money I had better be careful not to lose it. So I moved it from its usual home into a safe place. I hope one day to discover the safe place.

I joke with my wife about this sort of thing. It's not like it isn't sensible to keep things locked up in a city, but equally I'm of the semi relaxed attitude that thieves come in two forms:
Opportunists or
Target(ists)?!?
If its a targeted steal then done for, if its an opportunist then just got to make sure my door and windows are more secure than the neighbours..

Dear wife however, is the sort that will lock something up, take that key and lock it in that safe place, take THAT key, then lock it over in the other safe place... then take THAT key and lock it in the car, take the car keys and post them to Timbuktu.... you get the drift.. it normally involves forgetting where something is...

I mean, I jest and she'll probably clock me for the above if she reads it :rofl: but it's a tad infuriating...

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE