Gunked up SAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Been on top of the stove, -its shocking how fat gets around. (Says she who uses very little)

Its now jammed.

mine has the plastic framed magnifying glass, which may limit what can be put on it

What to do?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
if it was mine i'd use one of my cycle de-greasing products as they are purposefully made for use on a mix of metal, glass and rubber components, one of the best of these products i've used is GT85, i use it to lube my chain also but the main thing i use it for is a cleaner of my bikes after they have been washed

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Janne is onto it = "solvent partition." Long-standing chem lab trick to get things to dissolve.

I get that dried grease spatter on the back of my stove too. Also on the exhaust fan hood above the stove.
Dish detergent and hot water takes forever.
So, I wipe down all the surfaces with vegetable oil. Let this sit 15-20 minutes. The oil mixes with the greasy gunk.
Now, the veg oil is the carrier for the greasy crud and dish detergent and hot water dissolves all of it.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Don't pour boiling water on it - it will melt the celidor scales. Soak it in warm soapy water (washing up liquid) and scrub it with a brush. Shouldn't need much more than that.

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
As Magentus has rightly stated warm water with detergent in it, scrub with brush and open the tools and closee them a few times dry as thoroughly as possible and apply some oil or WD 40 and keep in a different place in future

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks guys. As a matter of fact I found another SAK at the junkshop; Didnt need one but at £3 I couldnt say no.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No idea

As well as the usual suspects, scissors and a saw. no toothpick or tweezers

The gunky one has the usual suspects; a magnifying glass, phillips screwdriver and scissors, plus a hook on the back

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Scissors and a saw probably means it's a Huntsman. Great find for £3.00! Does it have space in the scales for tweezers and toothpick?

Your gunky one is an Explorer - Brilliant tool set - the mag is great fun and the in-line philips is superb.

The blunt saw is indeed a fish scaler - the most contentious of all the SAK tools. A lot of people on another forum I frequent (MTO - very friendly bunch) use it as a makeshift fork. I don't know anyone EVER who has used it to scale a fish.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, a good find. I found some good stuff that day. (says she who is trying to declutter...but a lot of its for craft projects and things.)

No tweezers or toothpick; the badge is a rather worn stamped one. (unlike the more modern which are metal) I think this is the older model.

And a nice find as the scissors/saw combi is what I find most useful. (aside from the usual suspects)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE