Gun Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Hill bill
Stop trolling please

Except it's not a good idea to wave a gun around in a public place (regardless of how you think the law is actually written) and move on

Mark

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
It all seems highly confusing reading these posts, and there seems to be a conflict in how we as citizens interpret the law and how some police forces interpret the law, Hillbill would I be right in saying you live in a fairly rural area?

I say this because I should imagine that police forces in rural areas are probably more used to dealing with the " I'm just shooting at these cans" type of person than police forces in cities who are used to dealing with the "I'm a nutter with a gun!" type of person!

I would think the most logical thing to do, if there’s any doubt is to contact your local police force and have a chat!

But one things for certain, I won’t be taking anything that looks remotely “gunny” into a public place, when push comes to shove it doesn’t quite seem worth the risk!!!

Wil

Togger

Dec 16, 2007
Derbyshire
Hill Bill,, i've just been reading through this thread again. Can you clarify, on the land you were shooting you make reference to a public footpath running through it. Does that mean you were shooting on private land for which you have permission, which has a public footpath running through it? If that is the case then that's why the bobby wouldn't have taken an issue, there's no problems with that.
I have a few permissions for shotgun, S1 rifles and also air rifles,and most of them have public footpaths running through them at some point.
I may have misread it, I worked a night shift last night and the eyes are still a bit foggy :)

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
In short :) It is not an offence to shoot on public land at all. Please dont state that you WILL get arrested as i can assure you that this is not the case.

It is illegal to shoot on "public" land, as there is no such thing as "public" land.

Every piece of land in the UK is owned by somebody.

"A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place a [...] loaded air weapon, or any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm."

s.19, Firearms Act 1968.

"A person commits an offence if, while he has a firearm with him, he enters or is on any land as a trespasser and without reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him)."

s.20(2), Firearms Act 1968.

If you are shooting legally on private land with permission, it is only an offence to shoot within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if:

...a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered...

s.161(2), Highways Act 1980

maximus "Ex-police officer" otter

Last edited:

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Sorry but I'm afraid that if you shoot whilst on public land you will be in a world of hurt should the police find you! This is from the BASC website Linky http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/document-summary.cfm/docid/00E7F47F-F5C0-4DA5-98B0BF55BA67E338

"It is an offence under Section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968 for anyone without
lawful authority or reasonable excuse to have with him in a public place a
loaded shotgun or loaded air weapon or any other firearm, (whether loaded or
not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm."

So it should be clear to everyone that carrying an unloaded sub 12ft/lb air rifle that is secured in appropriate cover/case in a public place is OK if you have reasonable excuse. If the air rifle is loaded, or not in a cover, or over 12 ft/lbs then you're in Barney.

Firing the same air rifle in a public place (or a private place where you don't have permission) is a different kettle of fish, probably a firearms offence or armed tresspass.

Rat

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thats it, I've had enough;
I do not want this thread descending into an "I'm right and you're wrong!" slanging match constantly being resurected whenever someone feels like throwing their teddy out of the cot.

I'm closing it for keeps.

For those of you looking for advice about airguns, firearms, shotguns etc - talk to your local Firearms Enquiry Officer or equivalent. It is up to you to make yourself aware of the laws pertaining to you when you go shooting or you lay yourself open to prosecution with the possibility of a criminal record and maybe even a face-off with a Firearms Response Unit.

For the sake of the moderation team, I ask that no threads be posted asking "What happened to the Gun Advice thread" as they are likely to closed and the contributors dealt with for trolling.

Ogri the trog
Forum Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE