Guatemala

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zagabul

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2009
London
www.aloxworld.com
Hello all.
I’ve just come back from a trip to Guatemala and Belize and i wanted to share some pictures with you.
It was amazing and i got to do the main thing that is on my “Things to do before I die” list :)
which is playing with lava! :D

We used Guatemala City as our base camp and we did day trips to the sights around the city.
The first day we visited Antigua, which is the one of the oldest cities in central Amercia.
DSC00915.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00931.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

Second day we went to Lake Atitlan which is supposed to be the most beautiful lake in the world. Well... sure it’s pretty but what the Lonely Planet doesn’t mention is that the lake is now so polluted that it’s even dangerous to touch the water! It was nevertheless a very nice lake with volcanoes in the background.
DSC00959.jpg

Third day: BIG DAY! Volcano Pacaya. The climb to the top was already something (extremely steep and with wind of 40 mph) but we were extremely fortunate to meet a French volcanologist on top who showed us around. Our local guide wasn’t very impressed and didn’t follow us up to close to the lava but it was AMAZING!!!!
Because of the strong cold wind blowing in our back we manage to be as close as 1.5 meter away from the flowing lava with no protective gear. But at one point the wind stop blowing as strongly (I estimated maybe 30 mph) and immediately i felt the heat. It’s almost undescriptible how to explain how hot it then feels. It’s like you ran into in wall of fire. You are pushed back instinctively. As a reflex, your body makes you jump back. :)
DSC00997.jpg

DSC01001.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

We then left to Tikal and Ceibal in the jungle to visit the ancient Maya pyramids.
DSC01024.jpg

DSC01057.jpg

DSC01063.jpg

DSC01088.jpg

DSC01109.jpg

After all that we headed off to a small island of the coast of Belize for 5 days of farniente!
DSC00043.jpg

DSC01125.jpg

Quick stop in Miami on the way back to see the Everglades and the gators
DSC00076.jpg

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Wow! Simply wow! The pictures tell a story of a thousand words thats for sure.. :) It must have been amazing to be that close to flowing lava, true elemental stuff. The ancient Mayan ruins look mind blowing. To think in the conditions we, the Brits, and most of the world were living in, and then to compare their cities.. amazing.

Looks like you had a great time. Guatelmala is one my favourite countries. I travelled around for about a month a few years back. Went up that very same volcano but don't remember seeing lava that close!

How close to that alligator were you?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like a trip of a life time thanks for posting!

The scale of the ruins is breath taking, imagine what they looekd like in their hey day :eek:

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Brilliant post mate

A very enchanting country and people

How did you feel things where on personal safety and security in the city, did you feel it was okay - there where 50 murders in one weekend there this summer !!

Great pictures, looks like you had a fantastic trip

zagabul

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2009
London
www.aloxworld.com
How did you feel things where on personal safety and security in the city, did you feel it was okay - there where 50 murders in one weekend there this summer !!

I was a little bit worried beforehand especially after reading the travel advice on the US department of state. What i found is that i can understand that Guatemala might be a bit unsafe at times but if you use common sense there is no problems at all. i never felt unsecure. The police is everywhere and they look after the tourists. The only things i wouldn't do in Guatemala is travel with the chiken bus or walk around at night. Apart from that no worries.

Belize is really safe or at least the part i visited (Placencia) Everybody is really nice and pretty chilled out. :240: :):)

sc_steve

Nov 18, 2009
Scotland
That brings back memories of my Central America trip and especially my times in Guatamala visiting the same places you did. I remember going for dinner and getting locked in the restaurant behind iron bars with an armed guard at the door which added to the sense of adventure! The volcano supposedly erupts quite often and is some climb isn't it! Belize is stunning as well, I had a good 3-4 weeks there and the Mayan Caracol is as stunning as Tikal!

Brings back some great memories seeing your pics :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Great pics mate. Just noticed the thread, those are fantastic. Looks like you had a great time of it.

Noticed you missed a couple of pics :D

DSC01069.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE