Guardian Article Endangered Foods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I just read a worry some, but must read piece on the loss of diversity in world agriculture. She gives several U.K. samples. My old mobile won’t show a link. Perhaps someone can. Share it?
I know it will interest many members.

Reactions: Nice65

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's such a pity that Ms Finney's article lacks balance.

The statement that she quotes from Dan Saladino that

Control of the world’s seed production is in the hands of just four corporations

is demonstrably untrue as five minutes with a search engine would have told her.

The high yield crops that her article dislikes so much were pioneered in large part by Norman Borlaug - notably but far from exclusively the high yield, short stemmed wheat so ubiquitous now.

Those crops increased wheat yields in starving countries by 80%+

Whilst yes, there is a much lower diversity of plant material consumed than there once was, what she signally fails to address is that without these crops we cannot feed our current population.

Whilst she may dislike high yield crops, I suspect that the world appreciates Mr. Borlaug's agricultural contribution more than she does. He's credited with saving a billion lives and won the Nobel Peace Prize

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Yes, his contribution saved millions. And now their children face hunger from other sources. Biodiversity has a reason. The Pueblo people’s of our Southwest abandoned traditional foods for a western diet.
They now suffer pandemic levels of obesity and diabetes. NATIVE SEED SEARCH in Arizona is active in preserving and marketing native crops. Luther Burbank saved Southern Agriculture with new peanut uses.
Our food supply IS in the hands of fewer giant Ag businesses, numbers irrelevant. Climate change will see a very different world, and menus soon enough.
Options are always wise.

Reactions: gibson 175

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Unfortunately we can't step off the modern world conveyor belt with current populations and desires.

On another forum I visit occasionally someone started a thread about not giving hydrocarbon sector any money. Some bright spark pointed out that it was impossible. Mentioned posting on the forum using tech containing plastics derived from the hydrocarbons.

I feel that this is similar issue. We've gone too far from the natural, biodiverse way of living to actually go back. Not without reducing population.

On a slight aside. Would the OP hold the same view in a country struggling to feed it's population? Is this more a first world / developed world issue in that they're the only ones likely to be in a position to change this?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In reality, it's a rich world wake up to what has been happening for a very long time. There are many poor countries, and indeed, poor sectors of better off countries, who's populations have had to survive on a very low range of diet variation for a long time.

It's far from a new problem. As has been said before, when we switched from hunter/gatherer to farming in the Neolithic in Britain, life expectancy went down because of the lower dietary range.

Reactions: Toddy

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The higher you climb, the harder you fall. It could be that the people who have struggled most or been the slowest to adjust to modernisation - subsistence farmers, nomadic herders, etc - are the ones best positioned when the wheels fall off.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Unfortunately we can't step off the modern world conveyor belt with current populations and desires.

On another forum I visit occasionally someone started a thread about not giving hydrocarbon sector any money. Some bright spark pointed out that it was impossible. Mentioned posting on the forum using tech containing plastics derived from the hydrocarbons.

I feel that this is similar issue. We've gone too far from the natural, biodiverse way of living to actually go back. Not without reducing population.

On a slight aside. Would the OP hold the same view in a country struggling to feed it's population? Is this more a first world / developed world issue in that they're the only ones likely to be in a position to change this?
This is not OPs first rodeo regarding world hunger. I posted an article of interest. There is merit in heirloom agriculture. People took issue. I assume they stop at that U.K. chain market for
Bangers and beer to cook under a basha , reconnect with some inner Rousseau Noble Savage and pick a fight on this forum regarding industrial monoculture VS a Apple specific to a rural local
By light of campfire.
I’ve lived in impoverished communities facing malnutrition.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We have impoverished communities facing malnutrition in the UK. Probably in most towns and cities! I reckon it's not much different in USA and other developed countries. The state of the modern world!

However in struggle how to see reducing the efficiency of food production will help with food difficulties.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
WHO suggested reducing efficiency? You are protected from
GMO soy. I am not, along with maize and countless other crops.
I buy blue corn meal from a Pueblo tribe in New Mexico and Alaskan wild caught salmon vs Atlantic farmed. Will it bring down British society saving a local apple?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE