Group purchase of Woodland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How much could you invest?

Votes: 3 4.6%

Votes: 6 9.2%

Votes: 11 16.9%

Votes: 1 1.5%

Votes: 10 15.4%

Votes: 10 15.4%

Votes: 8 12.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • 1000+

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Certainly the forestry commission often lease sporting rights. They advertise quite often in the shooting press.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
This sounds like a brillaint idea, I would definately be interested if this thing went forward.

I think though if it were to go ahead, even though it is important for it to be done all legally and fairly, use of it should not be limited to 'if you paid £2000, you get to use it more than the guy who only paid £500'. I think it should be a 'you paid some towards it, you can use it as much as the next guy (as long as you're responsible, respectful and careful').

I think also, the main reason for group buying a piece of land, besides the fantastic perk of being able to share some bushcrafting land, should be to have the privilage of looking after some beautiful wildland for the next generation. And to remember that it's not 'ours to do with as we please', but 'our responsibility'.

Just my thoughts,
Dan

ganit

Jul 13, 2005
Pendle
When i bought my house, i did my own conveyancing, (i bought a book off of the internet) if we where to buy land collectivly it is possible to list everyone who contributes on the land registry entry as having an interest in the land, thus any sale would have to be agreed by all (thus assuring it wouldnt be sold).
I think the sensible thing to do would be to set up something similar to a housing co-op to formalise it properly.

Im quite keen on this idea, its something i have thought about many times too.
Land in the South East of England always seems to be cheapest for some reason (see http://www.woodlands.co.uk ) or it was last time i checked.

Personally i live in Lancs, and we have hardly any woods here, id be happy to go in on woods anywhere in UK maybe further afield if it was cheap and not on a 45 degree slope.

I hope this actually comes to pass.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Just caught up with this thread. I am a member of an allotment club that own their own land - 1 acre. Any English club can own property. The property is put in the name of a couple of "trustees" whose names go on the land registry documents.

Looks like people may want a string of woodlands scattered over the country. Woodland is cheap.

Maybe we could come up with a financial plan that can achieve this. We appear to have 1000s of members. A combination of a membership fee, and charges for using facilities, attending courses and expeditions along with perhaps other fund raising might work?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Then again, a loose, widespread network like us might find land ownership quite a responsibility. Might be more suitable to centrally negotiate a relationship with The Forestry Comission to use forest sites under clear terms and conditions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE