Group purchase of Woodland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How much could you invest?

Votes: 3 4.6%

Votes: 6 9.2%

Votes: 11 16.9%

Votes: 1 1.5%

Votes: 10 15.4%

Votes: 10 15.4%

Votes: 8 12.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • 1000+

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Of course, it would all depend on where it is, what it is, and which currency you are talking about.

There's not much difference between USD and EUR, but there's a fair bit of difference between those and GBP. Or CHF.

I'd prefer the patch of woodland to be on an island either in the middle of a lake or river, or not too far offshore.

Those 46 acres sounded nice, until I saw that it's a narrow strip.

Keith.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just an idea:
I know they use in France some sort of legal contruction (not a Ltd. but something similar (not very familiar with British legal constructions for bussinesses)) when multiple people buy a house, which they all want to use - and they all own a percentage of the house - related to the amount in which the parted. You can't claim a percentage of the house (e.g. 1 sleepingroom and the garage) and forbid someone else to use it. It's just a paper construction.

This is not the time, nor the place to discuss it already in length, but out of interest is there something suited in the UK for this?

And just as an aside: I would suggest it being a bit in the centre of the UK :rolleyes: - although when there is a good wood way up in Scotland (being it better then any other wood) this criterium would go overboard immediately. :D

46 acres ... hmmm how many footballfields (soccer) would that be???

Edit: I second Keith about the narrow strip thingie ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
oh.... about 46!
Depending on where the land was, Scotland or England/Wales the appropriate laws would need to be adhered to. Scots law isn't the same as English.

Toddy

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Great idea. Ideally we'd be looking for something in the South West or Wales, but we might consider somewhere else (even abroad) for the right deal.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Any chance we could get this divided up according to where people are in the UK/world?

For example, I'd be happy putting a lot more money into a piece of woodland in Scotland/N. England than I would one in Cornwall :D

Just a thought...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
match said:
Any chance we could get this divided up according to where people are in the UK/world?

For example, I'd be happy putting a lot more money into a piece of woodland in Scotland/N. England than I would one in Cornwall :D

Just a thought...

Good thought Match, perhaps those going to the next Scottish meet could put some thought into this and we can all discuss it then.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
sandbender said:
Good thought Match, perhaps those going to the next Scottish meet could put some thought into this and we can all discuss it then.

Good idea, If no one on the list is into land/conveyancing/property trusts, etc., I've got a lawyer friend who seems to be a mine of information about this. I could ask her for some information for discussion?
I agree with Match, land we can actually get to easily, rather than needing a day to drive to, would be much more appealing.

Cheers,
Toddy

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Couldn't a donation/deal be struck with a larger, established woodland trust to keep the woodland in perpetuity? Perhaps with a clause that bushcraft activity such as firelighting be permitted as long as the users adhere to a few conditions ("Do not burn down the entire woodland") etc? I'd pitch in if I knew it would remain woodland forever, and someone would be looking after it *forever*.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
CLEM said:
This sounds really exciting :) :) :)
Sorry for making a quote of my own post but this could turn out to be something really great,i guess it ill depend on the numbers interested and how much each can afford to spend ect.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
redcollective said:
Couldn't a donation/deal be struck with a larger, established woodland trust to keep the woodland in perpetuity? Perhaps with a clause that bushcraft activity such as firelighting be permitted as long as the users adhere to a few conditions ("Do not burn down the entire woodland") etc? I'd pitch in if I knew it would remain woodland forever, and someone would be looking after it *forever*.

I like the sound of that. :cool:

Any chance of that idea working?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If this is the way the majority want to go then I can recommend three Woodland Trusts, off the top of my head, who would be very interested in attracting new funding with access rights attached. I would point out however, that our aims may not truly mesh with the stated intents of the Woodland Trusts who would simply see 'our' area as part of their larger schemes. On the other hand, it would mean that we would have fewer logistical issues looking after the land and deciding who's supposed to do what, and presumably reduce or simplify any on-going expenses too.

Cheers,
Toddy

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Not that buying any land in GB would be desirable to me, but I have a suggestion. Why not divide the rights of your land based on your level of investment. Rights on a lower level will apply to the higher levels too.

Example: 10000£ Big-game hunting, 5000£ Small game hunting and net fishing, 1000£ rod fishing, 100£ foraging.

You may for example also set a limit to how big lumber (for cabins or tents) one can cut based on your investment.

Example: 7500£ up to 20cm diametre (if one is to make a nice forest maybe that is a suitable upper limit). 3000£ up to 10 cm. Below 1000£ under 3 cm.

And a good rule could be that noone can sell resources or rights from the area to outsiders.

Torjus Gaaren

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Some interesting points Torjusg. I don't think it would work quite like you suggest though. First of all, it's unlikely we'd be doing any hunting other than catching rabbits or other 'vermin'. Fishing's a possibility if there's sufficient water to do such an activity. Whether anyone would actually want to build a log cabin is another point - maybe we all want to keep it as primitive as possible while still managing the woods.

I agree that people who put more in the way of cash (or kind) investment should have more rights/say in how the project is run, and how it's decided is up for group discussion right enough, but all that is way down the line.

I also think a clause should be included that states that anyone wishing to sell their share must first offer it to people within the group at a fair market value. (We don't want some sly property developer buying up 51% of the shares and tearing the whole wood down to build a shopping centre).

Eric

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Poll's a few hours old, and already £18K in the virtual kitty...

It really would have to be done on regional lines - I'd be a bit reluctant to invest in anything more than 2 to 3 hours drive away.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Doc said:
Poll's a few hours old, and already £18K in the virtual kitty...

It really would have to be done on regional lines - I'd be a bit reluctant to invest in anything more than 2 to 3 hours drive away.

I agree Doc.
I've been talking with my lawyer friend about our interest in a group land purchase; seems Scottish land laws are different from English/Welsh ones anyway. However she has given me food for thought re Trusts and Associations, and I hope she will come up with a few discussion starting points for us.
It all actually sounds pretty straight forward. Aims, rights and responsibilities, including services, taxes, fees & grants; and decisions on voting and selling and buying shares/portions.
The other suggestion is that it might be easier to rent a piece of land, much as shooting syndicates do, and see how we all get on before we commit to a group purchase.
I have also been told (by a green activist) that it is sometimes worth while approaching the Forestry Commission, in certain locales, and, "Asking what the craic is about getting permission to look after a parcel of ground."

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE