griddle

C

chopper123

hi is it ok to use any thick mild steel plate to make a griddle or not ?
ive got a pot stand with bars perfect for resting kettle and pans on and even bbq stuff on
but was going to make a plate for the 1 side of it to do bacon and eggs and the like on it

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Mild steel will rust very quiickly, heat and rain/humidity will speed this up no end so my advice would be no. But if you can find some stainless or cast and season it then that would be a different matter altogether

C

chopper123

so the seasoning ive seen and read how to on cast carnt be done on mild steel no ?
sorry for all questions but new to this

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I think the mild steel will warp and rust quickly, but if you already have it, you have nothing to loose. Just try and keep it clean and oiled. Test it out before you take it away with you.
If you're starting from scratch, then cast iron or stainless steel is probably a better choice, there's a reason these metals are used for most commercially produced BBQs.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
I've used a flat steel plate as a griddle , it works but find the food sticks . I made it (obviously flat) but once the heat got to it during use it has a bow in the middle , which I personally like.
I reckon you should give it a go at home first.
Woks used to be made of plain steel years ago before they started putting all sorts of non-stick stuff on them , and you had to season them first.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I think mild steel will be ok. As has already been said, season it & keep it oiled. Distortion may be more of a problem than anything else. Richard's suggestions are all good. Also look out for aluminium griddles; much lighter to lug about than ci or steel.

C

chopper123

all look good thanks
will have to decide now what size i need
i have a big camping trip for august will be 17 of us so maight pay me to get a big 1
desisions

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE