Greetings from The U.S.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 1, 2007
Hey,

I intend to post a great deal of what I do and ask ALOT of questions, but the first one is this: Are there any other folks from the U.S. here?

Dont get me wrong. We are all the same in our presence and quest for knowledge, but I am curious as to whether there are any other folks that might be stateside.

After that, I am a blacksmith and all around metal wright. I have been lving outdoors as much as I can since I was in the Boy Scouts and intend to die that way (Good Lord Willing).

Ifthere is anything I can do or a question I can answer, please let me know.

All the Best,
Rob the Blacksmith

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Hello there Rob, sounds like you will be answering as many questions as you ask, welcome to BCUK. There are quite a few people from around the world, including quite few from your side of the pond, we aren't fussy here everyone is welcome;), sure they will be along to say hello soon!

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Hi Rob!

Another one from the States, Southern States no less! :beerchug:

Hope to learn a lot from you, have been toying with the idea of building a forge, but other things keep getting in the way, wife, children, work, etc.

So, ONE whole post and no pictures? What's wrong with ya man? :lmao:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Welcome to the site Rob,
I hope you enjoy the banter and learn as much as I have from the guys and girls on here.
So where abouts in the States are you from?

Jul 1, 2007
Hey Weaver,

I have been trying to copy and paste a pic of my little project and it wont let me. Can you (or anyone) give me the scoop on how to post a pic here? Would appreciate it.

I can tell you it is some copper tallow lamps. I would call them Betty Lamps, but they dont look that good. I am calling them Genie Lamps. I have an event to go to in Michigan in a few weeks and the good folks that are having me up needed some lighting for the camp area. They look REAL rustic, but good nonetheless.

Jul 1, 2007
I got a better one. I have a website but I just got the space and havent done much work on the page yet. I just put it up there. Go to pinchface.com and the only thing you will see is one pic of the Genie Lamp Project.

Jul 1, 2007
Hey 11binf and Everyone Else,

Y'all been very nice and I hope to have alot to share (no where near as much as I need to learn :) )

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Welcome to the world of international chatting. I'm over in NE Iowa, and not too far from your area - relatively speaking. I've done my share of blacksmithing over the last several decades. And now it's my primary method of support - altho not that high a level.;)

There's a diverse and interesting group here. Lots of good info being shared. And a lot of stuff that some of us went through back in the 80's with that old "survivalist" movement - before it became a haven for wacko political extremists.

Mike - out in the Hinterlands

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Welcome Rob

I'm pretty new to the site as well, its good to hear from "across the pond".

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Welcome Rob, here's the photo you were trying to post so everyone can see.

Genie&

Very nice. Are you using reed for a wick?

Eric

Jul 1, 2007
Again, thanks to all forthe warm welcome.

Yo! Rob G. I used to live in White Marsh years ago. If I have time I will tell you about the many dizzy nights spent at Bills Terrace Inn in Essex.

Eric, Actually, due to the speed of which I need to create these (I have an event coming in two weeks), I am using strips of old blue jeans, or mop strings if I can find some clean ones. Actually, I should be in the garage working on them but I have been trying to crimp them instead of soldering them and it is taking FOREVER! I think I am going to wait til Friday (payday) and get some gas and tin adn solder them up.

I do intend to outfit one to use a cattail stem (Also a fair substute for a cigarette in a pinch) for demonstration at the event.

And thanks for putting the post up. Check back in a few weeks (months, maybe a year, when I get around to it) and I hope I have some substance on the web page. I hope. :)

Oh, and thanks for the compliment.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Rob
welcome aboard you have an abvious talent looking at the photo ERic put up for you, and I am sure we have a great deal of knowledge to offer you as well.
I had a similiar problem with photos and was given the following advice which cured the problem for me, it might help you

The problem is, for some reason, the picture has URL tags at the front and back - it needs the image tags which are "
" at the back of the url please exclude the " marks.

I guess you could put these in manually. So you "text" for the image to work would be like this - click Quote and you will see what I mean here -

Hope this makes sense and helps you.

Cheers,

Phil.
Hey Weaver,

I have been trying to copy and paste a pic of my little project and it wont let me. Can you (or anyone) give me the scoop on how to post a pic here? Would appreciate it.

I can tell you it is some copper tallow lamps. I would call them Betty Lamps, but they dont look that good. I am calling them Genie Lamps. I have an event to go to in Michigan in a few weeks and the good folks that are having me up needed some lighting for the camp area. They look REAL rustic, but good nonetheless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE