greenheat eco stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
And the coffee is really for serious coffee drinkers, professional coffee drinkers. Add the small sachet to a pint and my eyes are like saucers for hours! :shock:

The tea really is a pretty poor show nowadays ... in fact, I don't think it is real tea and that it just migth have see a picture of some tea leaves at some point. The "whitener" doesn't help either and just makes it taste like a cup of TippEx. The only things going for it are that it's warm and wet!

ESpy said:
Adi007 said:
I've not seen a tea bag in a rat pack for years ... :-( just that awful powdered stuff!

Really??? Oh well. Wonder when they disappeared then? Of course, we were always getting end-of-life stuff. At least the food was better than the tins.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I bought one of the greenheat eco stoves this last weekend (Even after my poor experiences with the smaller sizes). I'm doing firelighting and control with the Scouts this Friday, so will allocate some resources (ie Scouts) to giving the stove a test run.

ie: OK Jim, how long does it take for this stove to boil a kettle?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
the wax on the box is to waterproof the contents very cheaply! you'll notice they just slapped it on, it really is cheap!

it possibly protects against chemical agents too, also it has always been a useful additional firelighter if torn up.

WW2 rations were put in waxed boxes in just the same way!

you won't find that in the plastic sachets of green heat! :-?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Hexy varies wildly ... the issue stuff is the best. You can usually find it in outdoor shops too but sometimes if comes in cubes and other times in little disk shaped bits ... none of which are wax coated and it doesn't produce the same amount of heat.
Oh, and of course, it's dearer than the issue stuff!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Womble said:
I bought one of the greenheat eco stoves this last weekend (Even after my poor experiences with the smaller sizes).

I finally over Easter had a chance to give the stove a water boiling test, and I've got to say that the results were disapointing. The cooker seemed to be reasonably stable on flat ground, and it proved relatively easy to control the flame.

I measured a pint of water into a saucepan and timed how long it take to boil, once on the already burning stove. One of the things I noticed was with only a gentle breeze a lot of the heat seemed to be leaking out of the gap between the can and the cooker - a wind shield would help.

Well, after 10 minutes the water started to bubble gently, and I actually never achieved a full boil - not what I was hoping for at all.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I would say a mixture of both (leaning on the cooker though), to be honest. Although the heat generated directly from the can seemed to be reasonable (on a par with a Trangia flame possibly), I don't think the cooker is untilising the heat in the best of ways. I'm sure its performance would be improved by the use of a windshield.

Although the can suggest that it has a burning capacity for 2.5 hours, I had it burning for about 30 minutes, and estaimate that about 40-50% of the cans fuel was used up.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I took a little bottle of this stuff out last night to test. We tryed to use it when lighting a camp fire but it had a small flame, was difficult to light and kept getting blown out. :-(

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Not tried mine yet ... something to do over the weekend!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE