greenheat eco stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've used a few of the smaller versions of these and found them pretty good ... seems more stable that the gelled meths variety which seem to evaporate quickly as well as rusting the cans. I just tossed out several unused but useless Firestar cookers because they'd rusted the cans and all the fuel had evaporated.

al said:
has anyone ever used one of these? http://www.britnett.net/kws/listings/345.html and whats the opinion please.cheers al :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Either way, pretty poor show to go to one only to find it contained rust! :shock:

Great Pebble said:
Seals must have been broken on them at some stage then, that or they're not properly sealed.

Nick in Belfast

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I've used the smaller two sizes (or tried to, anyway), when I took them on a hiking camp with the Scouts last June.

The larger sort, the ones with an hours burntime I found to be quite efficient, and compared very favourably with the hexi stoves that some of the Scouts were using. The smaller size, however were more than dissapointing. They come 3 in a packet, and in all three cases the contents had evaporated before the ringpull lid had been taken off. Fortunately the Scouts who were supposed to be testing these were able to double up on the Hexi stoves.

I went back to the place of purchase (the Scoutshop on Buckingham Palace road, London) and mildly expressed my surprise at the situation. They told me that others (including staff) had had equally dissapointing experiences, and they were not going to be stocking the small size any more.

EDIT: I would also point out that the "Stove" that came with the medium sized sort was simply a metal sheet curved around the circumference of the tin, and was quite flimsy. It was getting out of shape and worryingly flimsy after just 3 uses.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
The fuel itself seems quite impressive, can it be used in a hexi stove instead? ~I heard the military are now using the greenheat fuel.
Stuart is the man on this cos I believe he sourced it for them?
Cheers
Rich

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
One of the very small tins can fit into or under a hexi stove; in fact they come with a fold-up cooker that looks very hexi stove-like.

But - as I said - we wern't able to test its efficiency as all the tins were empty!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The green heat fuel is great, and they are working on making it even better so that is BTU output is close to heximene

the stove is well made but a little pointless it has a lever to control to heat output by rasing and lowering flaps which cover the tin

I would recomend just buying the BBQ lighter sachets and using them in a the a hexicooker or even better the new canteen cooker which is designed to use them

unlight most gel fuels it does not turn into a runny liquid when lit, it stays as a thick gell so you can use it anywhere that you would use heximine sticks etc etc

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Is there any reason they are binning hexy ... is the the waste (packets getting thrown away - or sold - after just one being used) or is it more versatile?
Stuart said:
The green heat fuel is great, and they are working on making it even better so that is BTU output is close to heximene

the stove is well made but a little pointless it has a lever to control to heat output by rasing and lowering flaps which cover the tin

I would recomend just buying the BBQ lighter sachets and using them in a the a hexicooker or even better the new canteen cooker which is designed to use them

unlight most gel fuels it does not turn into a runny liquid when lit, it stays as a thick gell so you can use it anywhere that you would use heximine sticks etc etc

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I think the main reason for the idea of binning heximine (at the moment as far as i know it has not been confermed as is still being tested) is that heximine gives off a very toxic smoke when burnt which kills people in confined spaces.... ie snow holes

green heat gives off nothing but a small amount of carbon dioxide when burnt

green heat also burns with a blue or invisable flame which does not give off much light (which can be seen by the enemy) there is also no smoke or smell and leaves no residue

it can also be lit with a spark (where as heximine can be a bugger to light)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
All super reasons Stuart for dumping hexy ... to have something that lights with a spark is very handy as I've had hexy taht was hard to light with those little blowlamp lighters!

Not to mention that hexy leaves an awful mess on everything!

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
All super reasons Stuart for dumping hexy ... to have something that lights with a spark is very handy as I've had hexy taht was hard to light with those little blowlamp lighters!

You're *sure* that wasn't Kendall mint cake? :-? I don't think I ever had trouble lighting hexy - so long as I never tried to use the so-called windproof matches. Lowest bidder stuff... The waxed paper the stoves were packed in helped get the stuff going.

Not to mention that hexy leaves an awful mess on everything!

Aw, c'mon - you know the tea bag routine! Not much use if you prefer coffee, however.

As for flame/visibility - the smell of the cooking food is much more of a giveaway.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
speaking of which.... there thinking of trying to find a way of making it taste bad so the soldiers wont eat it!!!!!!

Now if your thinking "thats stupid surely the squaddies wont try to eat it"
let me point out that Squaddies have been drinking the stuff in the glow sticks, because it makes their urine glow

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i have tried a few varieties of this design over the years including "firestar", i've never found them that good, basically it dosen't seem to burn very hot, and you end up carrying alot of fuel.

we had these for sale in my shop at half price

£5 for folding stove and 2x 10 min fuel tins
and £5 for a tin of 1x 30 min fuel with wind shield.

we couldent sell them for love nor money!

all you have to do is compare it with a hexi cooker of any variety and you will see its disadvantages:

1. very small so top heavy when a pot is being used.
2. if you want extra fuel you have to bring another cooker not just the gel.
3. with hexi you can add fuel as it burns, you can't safely do it with a gel.
4. gel is messy!
5. hexamine is pretty inert untill heated , an alchohol gel if spilled in your bag or a tent may light from a spark or evaporate.
6. i was given a "sachet" of green heat to try out, i followed the instructions to the letter and the stuff didn't light easily, when it did it went out again. i lit tyhe sachet and a hexamin block at the same time the hexamine block was faster and hotter!(and it stayed alight! :roll: )
7. Green heat is sold as a "fire" or "BBQ" lighter! not as a cooking fuel!

call me the enviromental anti-christ but i will continue using Hexamine! :twisted:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Stuart said:
speaking of which.... there thinking of trying to find a way of making it taste bad so the soldiers wont eat it!!!!!!

Mmmm, Bitrex... "What's the problem, s'alcohol, innit?"

Now if your thinking "thats stupid surely the squaddies wont try to eat it"
let me point out that Squaddies have been drinking the stuff in the glow sticks, because it makes their urine glow

Amazing how many people don't believe you when you tell them that. And then go and try it even though they've been warned not to because of the glass phial in the lightstick... :shock:

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
they are working on making it even better so that is BTU output is close to heximene

Hexy ain't that hot itself (pardon the pun). I'd be dubious about using anything that had less output. I also find the "lights with a spark" issue rather strange, as I was always given to understand that one of the reasons hexy was put on issue for the exact opposite, it didn't ignite too readily, or too violently

Nick in Belfast

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
ESpy said:
You're *sure* that wasn't Kendall mint cake? :-? I don't think I ever had trouble lighting hexy - so long as I never tried to use the so-called windproof matches. Lowest bidder stuff... The waxed paper the stoves were packed in helped get the stuff going.
Don't think it was mint cake ... certainly didn't taste like it :-D Worked pretty well if you crumble the stuff a bit first. With the windproof matches I find that you just pile half the matches underneath the hexy it'll go!

Aw, c'mon - you know the tea bag routine! Not much use if you prefer coffee, however.

I've not seen a tea bag in a rat pack for years ... :-( just that awful powdered stuff!

As for flame/visibility - the smell of the cooking food is much more of a giveaway.

Less of a prob with the foil pacjed retort stuff now ... but I think if smell is going to be an issue it's hard routine time anyway! :wink:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
I've not seen a tea bag in a rat pack for years ... :-( just that awful powdered stuff!

Really??? Oh well. Wonder when they disappeared then? Of course, we were always getting end-of-life stuff. At least the food was better than the tins.

Less of a prob with the foil pacjed retort stuff now ... but I think if smell is going
to be an issue it's hard routine time anyway! :wink:

Deep joy. "Have you got a spare gash bag?" ... "you can have it back now"...
:-?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE