Great balls of fire !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I recently bought some cheap ping-pong balls to cut in half (it's a long story but those of you who frequent the BB forum will understand ;) ) I had them delivered to the office and just had to try turning them into halves before my night shift was over :eek:
Outside the office we have a spot on which we burn all the confidential paperwork and I recalled learning that ping-pong balls were made of cellulose/celluloid (?)
Anyway, I took the bits of ball outside and stuck my lighter to them....

WOW ! :D Hells Bells they go some ! Whatever they are made of, it's like setting light to "dehydrated petrol" ! :lmao:

Now what I'm thinking is that a ping-pong ball with a small hole in it could be filled with something like hemp fibres or jute, the hole is sealed with either waterproof tape or something similar and the whole thing goes in your pack as an emergency firelighter. They shouldn't be affected by water, it doesn't matter if they get a bit squished, and if you can't light kindling from one of them you're just not trying ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Now what I'm thinking is that a ping-pong ball with a small hole in it could be filled with something like hemp fibres or jute, the hole is sealed with either waterproof tape or something similar and the whole thing goes in your pack as an emergency firelighter. They shouldn't be affected by water, it doesn't matter if they get a bit squished, and if you can't light kindling from one of them you're just not trying ;)

Knowing how easily tape tends to loose it "stick", perhaps wax or pine resin melted over the hole. Its not as natural as I normally like to see tinder, but its a great lateral thought, Longstrider.

ATB

Ogri the trog

PS another thought has just struck - a circle of bicycle inner tube might seal the hole and offer waterproof tinder into the bargain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE