The fire gods HATE me!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
It's true the fire gods were definitely not smiling on me this morning. We were going to have burgers so, as usual, I went out back with the Firebox and loaded it with charcoal. I had matches that went out after the flare they wouldn't stay alight when hit with a lighter the charcoal wouldn't catch even when hit with a butane torch. I ran that out of gas.

So I guessed the charcoal had got damp I removed that and loaded the Firebox with wood pellets made a small hole in the pellets and used some tinder as a birds nest and some small dry twigs as kindling to catch a flame. Well the birds nest and kindling caught and and was burning a treat I thought I was on the way to a couple of juicy burgers so I came inside to see how my wife was doing with the rest of the meal I went outside to see...a burnt divot in the wood pellets. The pellets had failed to catch :dunno:

Okay now it was personal So I grabbed some tinder quicks and used them thinking they would burn long and hard enough to catch the wood. Nope the damn tinder quicks went out I tried three in one go thinking that would work nope they ALL went out :confused: That's never happened. Third time lucky I used a home made cotton pad and wax firelighter. in the center of the pellets. This time it was burning long and hard and turning the pellets next to it a nice shade of burnt black......then it went out. :cussing: :banghead: :deadhorse:

I said "Oh [censored] it I give up...Honey turn the grill on I'm coming in."

Over the years I've been lucky enough to make a fire in the most adverse of conditions.....but not today apparently.

I couldn't have stared a fire in an oil refinery with my luck at the moment.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That's usually the point where I dump my whole bottle of 100% alcohol hand gel on the kindling. Some days the air is so laden with moisture its a nightmare to light a fire.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sounds like you need to make a sacrifice to the gods. You have been cursed with their displeasure for your many sins.

Try a burnt offering. If you can get a fire going, that is... :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's usually the point where I dump my whole bottle of 100% alcohol hand gel on the kindling. Some days the air is so laden with moisture its a nightmare to light a fire.

I keep my old cooking oil and meat grease (that's gotten too old to still cook with/in) just for lighting charcoal.

Sounds like you need to make a sacrifice to the gods. You have been cursed with their displeasure for your many sins.

I was thinking the same thing!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some days are diamonds and some days are dirt.
Been told I could start a forest fire with a lit cigarette butt.
Like the days when I can't get a fire going in the wood stove with a propane torch.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.

I usually carry a couple of those 1oz Purell bottles as an accelerant but I didn't use one this time as I didn't want it tainting the burgers. If I was boiling water then on it goes.

I believe I may have their wrath visited upon me because I've been using my crusader with the meths conversion a lot lately and forsaking traditional fires. Yes I need to make an offering to get on their good side.

I keep my old cooking oil and meat grease (that's gotten too old to still cook with/in) just for lighting charcoal.

Hmm, good idea. I'll have to remember that...thanks.

Some days are diamonds and some days are dirt.
Been told I could start a forest fire with a lit cigarette butt.
Like the days when I can't get a fire going in the wood stove with a propane torch.

Yup diamonds and dirt. Days when the tiniest piece of char lights the fireplace no trouble, then there's days like yesterday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE