Gransfors, who made yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jamie

Hey Dave

I'm off on the Woodsmoke 'Woodlander' course next May and really looking forward to it...not doing the axe workshop yet though :(

As a complete rookie at this I dont really know what to expect but they seem like a great bunch at Woodsmoke and they have already put me at my ease!

Hope this helps some...if not give me a shout!

Jamie

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Dave said:
Just ordered mine! An SFA! Im like a giddy schoolkid waiting for it. Im going to have justify all this outlay by going on one of these courses. The nearest one to me is over in the lakes. [About an hours drive] Has anyone been on the axe workshop course offered by a company called Woodsmoke? It looks like a good company from theie website.
www.woodsmoke.uk.com.

Also what kind of people go on these things? And would there be many like myself, going by themselves? [First timers?] And whats the average age of the people?

Any info would be appreciated... :notworthy

P.S. The fellow i bought mine from only charges £37 for them.

Nice axe, where did you get it for that price? We are going to be putting up a review of the axe course from woodmoke, the chap doing the review went on it this year, he really enjoyed it and I am sure you will as well.

All sorts of people will be on the course and a lot of them will be going by themselves. Some of them will have no prior experience and I would say the average age will be between 25 and 40 but could be 18 to 80!!

Trust me, you’ll love it!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I went on Woodsmoke's Woodlander course last year, as a 40th Birthday pressie to myself. Loved every minute of it, even though it was a cold and wet June. Learned loads and found that I got a sound base to keep learning more. One tip though is that there's a lot to pick up so you need to just keep at it...If Ben says now would be a good time to practice your bow drill, he really means it and he's right!

The people on the course were mostly singles: one couple in their early 50s and the rest a good spread. There was a good mix of knowledge and naivety, each of us knowing something about some topics and being new to others. I would certainly have classed myself as a beginner. At both the Woodlander course and the Wilderness gathering this year I found that our common interests means that we all seem to get along fine.

Justin

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i spoke to guy who went on the woodsmoke axe workshop, sounds like he had a great time. it seems they did alot more stuff than i'd have thought was possible.

they're a very good outfit, fantastic setting too.

cheers, and.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Hi Sargey,
that could've been me or Joe I guess (remember Abo'?).
Yep - the axe workshop was excellent - learnt loads and best of all I'm no longer a menace to myself and others with an axe in my hand.

I'm looking forward to the review too.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well I have a Elwell axe - Handmade(ish) in Great Britain out of the finest sheffield steel. A shame we still don,t manufacture to this quality.
I'd still like one of those tiny gransfors for my pack though..
Rich

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
hiya qweeg! are you back up to weight yet? :lol:

yeah, i think it was a bit of both of your comments. does this bring back any memories?

063179.jpg

cheers, and.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Roving Rich,
I think I've seen one of these Elwell's in a Kent Pattern with an ash handle. It had a very straight edge ideal for carpentry but maybe not so good for general outdoor use.
They have an excellent reputation and I'm always on the lookout for them. It's a pity they don't make them anymore.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Mainly the memory of my basha boat sinking and trying to dry my pants for the next 4 days.

yeah but priorities man! how's the knife? have the scales shrunk back to their former pristine proportions?

cheers, and.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
The knife's fine. I've applied some veggie oil in case of future dunks.
Unfortunately the sheath is no longer as snug as it used to be - may need some attention.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi Queeg, mine is curved edge and convex in 2 directions. They must have made a full range, I also have an elwell billhook and two handed splitting axe (well thats shat I use it for anyway). It works far better than my sandvicks wedge with all the ribs n stuff.
Cheers
Rich :wink:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice axe, where did you get it for that price? We are going to be putting up a review of the axe course from woodmoke, the chap doing the review went on it this year, he really enjoyed it and I am sure you will as well.

All sorts of people will be on the course and a lot of them will be going by themselves. Some of them will have no prior experience and I would say the average age will be between 25 and 40 but could be 18 to 80!!

Trust me, you’ll love it!

Got the axe from a bloke off ebay Tony, knows his stuff, and i gave him a link to this site. He has just joined, called Rob. He has some excellent kit for truly cheap prices. As well as the SFA, Im about to buy the gransfors sharpening stone in the rubber case for fifteen quid. [ten pounds cheaper than survivalschool.com] Whens the axe workshop review coming out?

Regards.
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE