Gransfors, who made yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I postred this on britishblades, but figure more people here might have them.

Just got my new lovely Gransfors axe, it's signed MM and a quick look in the accompanying "Axe Book" reveals the maker is one "Mattias Mattsson", there only appears to be 10 axe smiths working for Gransfors.

Who made yours?

From the Gransfors Bruks website:
---------------------------------------------------------
We who work at Gränsfors Bruks Sweden

team1.gif

The people working at Gränsfors Bruks in Sweden are (from left to right): Mikael Sundberg, Rune Andersson, Mattias Mattsson, Lennart Pettersson, Lasse Eriksson, Anna-Karin Pettersson, Jan Elfström, Kjell Åke Sjölund, Per Henrik Bylin, Ove Sjödin, Jonny Mohlén, Paul Norell, Siv Lundholm, Gabriel Brånby, Mats Åke Järnberg, Gunnar Mohlén, Rune Ahlbom. (Yes, it was a dark and cold Monday morning when we took the picture.)
--------------------------------------------------

I noticed the picture has been cropped too much. Going from the print version, the bloke on the back row, far left is Rune Andersson, on the front roww, in front of him with the bald head, is Mattias Mattsson - you can take it from there.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I have a Small Forest Axe marked with UN. It has the most beuatiful 'red' handle.
I recently did a Woodsmoke Axe Workshop and was envied by all concerned.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
It came like that. The other handles I've seen have been yellowy. I'm given to understand that the red in my handle is from the heartwood of the hickory.
I don't think there's any advantage in having a red handle - it just looks really distinctive.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Well, I have a SFA too, and honestly I won't check who made it, because honestly, I do not care. The hand forged Gransfors are in the 200 - 300 Euro range, (including the eye) and they are the only oneds to be hand forged.

All the rest of the production is machine stamping forging, comparable to a semi drop forging.

This said these are good axes. they are slightly overated to my taste, as there are other axes of similar quality at lower prices (and higher too).[/img]

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
JM said:
Well, I have a SFA too, and honestly I won't check who made it, because honestly, I do not care.

Ahhh, dont take it so seriously JM, I think most people recognise the limitations of the production process, you're not breaking any news there. It's just a bit of fun. ;) :D

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Hi Martyn,

No worries, just stating my ground ;)
I have been told the Wetterlings are excellent too.
I also own a Roselli, which I like (though more expensive).

J

Jamie

Hiya

I also heard that Wetterlings were a good brand (and indeed stand up as an alternative to the Gransfors). I had been trying to find one for a while only to find that a friend of mine is now a UK distributor for them.

The company is Woodland Organics (www.woodlandorganics.com) but his online store isnt finished yet (and I'm the one to blame for that as I am building it for him!). If you're interested in having a chat about axes or anything else give him a buzz - ask for Jack.

Jamie

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Hey, interesting, would he ship over the channel ? I would not mind getting one to test on my site.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
yep.... the mini is Lars' pet project... his design ..... he makes them.... I wonder if the other smiths have little pet projects in the pipeline?

Ed

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Just ordered mine! An SFA! Im like a giddy schoolkid waiting for it. Im going to have justify all this outlay by going on one of these courses. The nearest one to me is over in the lakes. [About an hours drive] Has anyone been on the axe workshop course offered by a company called Woodsmoke? It looks like a good company from theie website.
www.woodsmoke.uk.com.

Also what kind of people go on these things? And would there be many like myself, going by themselves? [First timers?] And whats the average age of the people?

Any info would be appreciated... :notworthy

P.S. The fellow i bought mine from only charges £37 for them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE