Gransfors Outdoor Axe...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I gather this has been floating about for a few years. Curious how real use is with it?

Looks like a sturdy cross between a hatchet and a splitting maul, all be it on a very small scale if I'm right...

Cheers, al.

I've one of these bad boys. Saw one on a campcraft course last year and covetted one until i snapped.
Awesome springs to mind. it covers all firewood needs from spring to late autumn, is nice and comfy for carving work, i've even felled a substantial Ash tree with only this axe.
Also because it isn't massive you can fit it in a pack without being concerned about it pulling you down when covering distances.
And you are right a cross between a hatchet and splitting maul is an accurate description

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Been thinking about this bl@@dy thing all day.... Nearly hit 'purchase' twice.

Its mainly the price tbh. Not that I can't afford it as a treat. I'm just tight.

God, I hate choices :p

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hmmm....

I might have a bit of a problem with the recent purchase and my backpack. So a pack axe for solo's might be a good choice.

Have another two to shift. So I will, in the end, only have two!

:rolleyes:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have owned one for a while which I have just moved on as I am not getting to use it.
They are great little light weight axes, the bit is slightly thicker than a SFA which makes them great splitters they are also good for carving. I think its a good axe for someone who does a lot of walking and wants a light axe to take with them.
For me personally I have found that when I am hiking I just bring a knife which is why I have just sold mine on as it really should be used. I am thinking of replacing it with its big brother the wilderness axe for use when I am camping from a fixed base.
Looking at the shape of the bit from the top view of the wilderness axe on uncle rays website it look very similar to the shape of the bit of the outdoor axe just much bigger and without the metal collar .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE