Gransfors Bruks sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I have tried this question on British Blades as well so sorry to people who read both forums. I think it might be a bit basic for them (half of them make their own knives). Anyway I was hoping for some advice on sharpening my Scandinavian Forest Axe.

I have owned it for a year now and although it is sharp and well looked after I have trouble getting it as sharp as I would like. I use a combination japanese water stone from axminster tools which is great on my knives but the axe is larger and heavier (of course) making it more difficult to keep a constant angle while using the stone. I have seen a stone from Gransfors themselves which is shaped like a hockey puck. This looks much eaiser to use as the axe is still and the stone angled and moving. It would be more portable as well. However I think the £25 trek direct are selling them for is way over the odds, my other stone is twice the size and cost a tenner. Does anyone know where you can get them for less? I was outbid on ebay last sat for the one sold on there and it would have been over £20 so again a bit steep.

One thought I have had is cutting 2 or 3 inches off the stone I have and using the offcut to fit in my palm. Has anyone tried this and how would I go about it without splitting the stone the wrong way and ruining it. I am a geology graduate but the don't teach things like that.

Any other comments greatfully received. I also want to say that I have learnt loads since finding this and the british blades forum a couple of weeks ago. I never knew there were so many interesting people out there.
:)

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
I've talked to a couple of people who have cut down the Axminster stones to make a 'field' stone. Both of them simply used hacksaw blades - albeit it took four blades to cut through the stone!

A quicker way might be to use an angle grinder or equivalent with a stone-cutting blade; however I would suggest goggles if you go down this route!!

Having seen the GB stone I think I will actually pay a bit more for it - it's a convenient size and weight, and comes in a rubber case which stops it moving around is used on a stump, gives you something to grip if you prefer to sharpen holding the stone, protects it when not in use, and obviously won't be affected by water!

Hope this helps

Bob :-D

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Bob said:
Having seen the GB stone I think I will actually pay a bit more for it - it's a convenient size and weight, and comes in a rubber case which stops it moving around is used on a stump, gives you something to grip if you prefer to sharpen holding the stone, protects it when not in use, and obviously won't be affected by water!

I've had a cursory look around for this at varioius sites where they sell GB axes but haven't seen it for sale - where can I get one, it sounds ideal!

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
not sure about this but i seem to recall that thesurvivalschool sold them, might be worth a try
steve

Kev P

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 12, 2003
Beds
I bought a Gransfors sharpening stone a few weeks ago and its very good. Being smallish its great for using in the field... for knives as well as axes. The rubber casing makes holding it easier when your hands are cold and wet. It does seem a bit pricey probably just a reflection of the fact that its made by Gransfor but its a good bit of kit.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Spotted this from Gary, posted last month:

"IKEA are selling a scandinavian water stones in a latex rubber box for £4.

They're harder than the standard Jap ones but thus far the one I have works well and being smaller and square is excellent for your axe.

Another plus is the rubber doesnt slip in the work surface either!

Bit of a bargin me thinks!!"

On the IKEA website (http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...uctId=14324&langId=-20&parentCats=10108*10216) it looks to be called a SKARPA whetstone and is 12 by 8 cm.

Might be worth a look.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
tedw said:
Spotted this from Gary, posted last month:

"IKEA are selling a scandinavian water stones in a latex rubber box for £4.

I've got one of these for my kitchen knives and they are very fine - they do a great job of polishing an edge.

I fancy the GB stone because it's a combination stone, so if a bit more stock needs to come off the edge to get it sharp it'll do it in a reasonable time

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The GB stones (round like a ice hockey puck) are really good and can be used for both axes and knives.

One either I find a small circular motion works best - to finish (before stropping) give the edge about ten single strokes either side and hay prestow!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE